Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Zoom, Zonk, Replace

Does it make any sense to you? (I’m talking about the Zoom, Zonk, Replace title. Do try to keep up!)

Unless you’re a teenager, I figure it’s doubtful.

And if you’re thinking I’m going to explain it to you, think again.

You’ll have to trust me when I say, you don’t want to know what Zoom, Zonk, Replace means. Not that I really know, not for sure anyways. What I can tell you (after many minutes of deep frowns and squinting at a text book) is: - it’s totally bloody gibberish.

(Though of course, I wouldn’t offer my opinion if I hadn’t of been asked; but I was, by my son R, when he couldn’t complete his maths homework.)

So I took a look at his written sheet, thinking I could use the previous examples (after all, maths is my strong point! (And as I don’t have a lot of strong points, I get to mention it!!)) Umm, Lots of little lines, then more little lines grouped together and circled, then some numbers. Unfortunately none that seem to make any relevant sense.

But I’m going to fast. First you need to know the maths question, so to put you out of your misery (as I’m sure you’re just dying to know!) the first question was:

What is 2/3 of 6?

I spluttered with the thought that he couldn’t work this out (well wouldn’t you?! He’s in year 7!)

And here comes the irony, he could. No problem at all. The problem is setting it out correctly using the Zoom, Zonk, and Replace method!

WHY?

I don’t mean, why couldn’t he work it out using this ridiculously named method? I mean, why teach them this ridiculously named method, when they can work it out just fine without it? How does this help him? And why the heck didn’t the teacher make sure he had actually taught the boys how to use this method, instead of tormenting me with it? This is just the sort of ending to a day like mine, deserves.

I told R to do it any which way that makes sense to him, so long as he’s getting it right. But the poor boy is panicking, saying he’ll get into trouble if he doesn’t do it the teacher’s way.

Really?

Nooooooo, I don’t think so, not unless my enquiries result in me discovering this is some sure fire way to becoming a maths genius! And even then, it'd be my fault, not his. But until I get to be amazed at my ignorance in this matter, I’ll pen the maths teacher a short note explaining why my little darling isn’t following his Zoom, Zonk, and Replace method.

7 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

NO ZONKS!!!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:37:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Sounds ridiculous to me! The teacher sounds like a no-mind!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:54:00 am  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I would say it's not rocket science, but actually I think it is. I'm glad I'm not in school anymore.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:31:00 am  
Blogger thewriterslife said...

Is this a replacement for the new math that was thrown at us when we were kids? Guess the teacher is trying to be innovative, but I think that's what they called it when they tried to push this new math on us...innovative schinovative, math is not going to be fun whichever way you look at it. ;o)

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:28:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Sounds to me like advertising hype for a throw-away sex-toy.

But then, I've got that kind of mind.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:32:00 am  
Blogger Karen said...

It makes my head hurt just thinking about it! LOL Yikes.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:24:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

We're going thru the same thing at my house. my son is in gr. 6 and we just discovered that he can't do long division the other night ( got 4 out of 5 or maybe all 5 wrong). They have something called "everyday math" i think and he does this grid things. beats me. he says they can do it either way and so since he didnt' wantme to write a note to his teacher or stay after school to ask the teacher, he's learning the old fashioned way. The only problem with that is he's so damn messy with all the cross outs and carries, he's still getting them wrong. And he was placed in advanced math this year and next. yipes. I'm thinking a math program for the computer this summer maybe.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 5:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home