Monday, April 03, 2006

Happy fish

Tonight, J went on stage! She’s a blue fish in a ballet extract of The Little Mermaid, though it was just the dress rehearsal, but tomorrow it’s the real thing. Unfortunately one little fish fell whilst dancing and became very upset. It was the daughter of one of my best friends, and I think her distress shook J. More worried about the girl in question though, as I know she’s a sensitive soul and we’ll have to see how this affects her tomorrow.

Of course the highlight of this week isn’t the actual performing as far as J is concerned, but more the going out in the evening when she’d normally be going to bed. And the wearing of make-up, mustn’t forget that! Haven’t got any pictures for you yet, as I was too hurried before we left and she refused to let me take any when we got home, but expect to be scared wowed.

S is also appearing in just the matinee performance on Saturday (as a little mermaid), but I have a smidgen of doubt whether she’ll hold her nerve, as she got all shy in front the family the other night, which doesn’t bode well for how she’ll feel at the theatre!

And the matinee will also be the first time we get to see our little darlings’ dance, as the rest of the week we’re just hanging around playing taxi service. Not that we didn’t entertain ourselves. Two moms and I went to the pub (no cafés nearby, I swear!). Something of a shock to remember what life is like when out with just women, not that they were raunchy or anything like that ;o) But a group of men started chatting to us, and I’d kind of forgotten that people do that in pubs at night. Scary men too, which isn’t so surprising as the interesting ones were always too polite.

I haven’t yet decided if it’s good or bad timing, but I cut off J’s hair last night. It was a spur of the moment thing, after I got irritated trying to comb the knots out (though she did agree!) I'm sure I only cut off a couple of inches, but the release of weight must have buoyed the rest of it, as it’s curlier than ever – and shoulder length.

Other news includes: I’m still battling my chest infection. Nasty one too as I can’t get a decent breath and am feeling faint whenever I exert myself. Probably doesn’t help that I’m not fit. I really need these Easter holidays to start! Four days to get through.

I don’t think I mentioned it over the weekend, but I had a call Friday night, and started my new job this morning. Except that makes it sound like I might have done something productive this morning, but I didn’t; I couldn’t, really. It’s a bit of a bizarre situation, the previous lady has left, and the boss hung around for three minutes just to say not to bother asking him anything as he doesn’t have a clue.

So there I was, shivering in a strangers office (it was cold! Or else I had a fever, not entirely sure which). His wife (my friend) made me a cuppa, and also made a point of telling me she knows nothing about the accounts, so not to ask her either. And it felt very odd going through someone’s cupboards to try and figure out where things are kept. Found some, not all.

I also took a look at the dreaded accounts package, UGH, couldn’t even persuade it to generate a report. The sooner I change to the one I like, the better. But that’s easier said than done, and I have to buy the darn thing first. But that’s going to take days to arrive in the island, and then load with the account balances, but the men need paying on Friday, not to mention the suppliers…I think if I wasn’t feeling so awful, I’d be in panic meltdown. Guess that makes this cold a silver lining!

Oh and I haven’t mentioned the very start of my day. My computer’s power supply blew, and left me with no internet access! Traumatic to say the least, and I haven’t had time to visit most of you, but at least it’s fixed now (definite bonus of sleeping with a computer geek ;o))

Phew, so that was Monday. Thank goodness it's nearly over, just a shame Tuesday arrives so quickly.

8 Comments:

Blogger Page Turner said...

Sounds like you've got a lot on the go, Jona. Thank goodness your cold is dulling any potential stress. I wish I could say pregnancy is dulling any stress I might be feeling.

How's Ryker doing these days?

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:29:00 am  
Blogger rdl said...

Sounds like another manic monday. can't wait to see the pics of the lil cherub, i mean mermaid.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:41:00 am  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

You've got your hands full. Sorry you're still not feeling well. I hope that clears up soon. Can't wait to see pics of the mermaids. I bet they are cute as can be.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:45:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

If I were you I'd move the apostrophy from darlings' (although you could argue it has a place, depending what you mean by the phrase) to strangers.

Don't forget to warn them you'll be needing maternity leave!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:41:00 am  
Blogger Karen said...

I am so happy that Monday is over! Closer to the weekend.

That is so great about J being on stage. I hope she does well today. Times to treasure :-)

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:28:00 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

You've definitely got your hands full. Please be sure to post pictures of the mermaids.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 4:44:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

I'm just trying to picture mermaids dancing without the benefit of legs. There must be some trick to it...

Kristy

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:59:00 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

I hope the new job goes really well!!!!
Cute story about your daughters and stage fright, lol. Reminds me of my daughter (she was 4) and was going to be in my sister's wedding. Well, for months she was so excited about it, and talked about it, and the big day came and we got her dressed and put a crown of flowers on her hair...And she fell to pieces, LOL. Just screamed, "I can't go through with this!"
My sister, in her bride's dress, looked stunned. "That's my line," she said. We all howled. My daughter calmed down enough to go down the aisle - but only holding tightly to my sister's hand. So my sister was walked down the aisle by my dad and my daughter.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 12:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home