Wednesday, March 15, 2006

But I made an effort!

Today’s verdict: she says I look frazzled. Why do people feel able to be so honest with me?! I mean, if someone looks less than great, I don’t tell them. At this rate, I’m going to have to start avoiding school in the morning, as I was sure I looked okay today, but now…? Now, I’m reaching the stage of ‘Why bother?’ Maybe that’s what I should do, turn up without make-up and really give this mom something to comment on.

At least yesterday morning was a bit more soul lifting. Yesterday morning a mom sought me out to ask if I would do her son’s Christening cake in May – so I guess, whether I mean to or not, I’m getting into the cake making business. Though I have to admit at the time, instead of being thrilled, I was rather lost for words as panic started to build (though I did manage to smile and nod!)

I’m not really ready for this. Not yet anyway. There’s so much else I’m behind on – and I could start listing things, but that would take up time I don’t have, and anyways as I lay in bed last night, I decided I can get there, and instead of bleating I should just DO IT. Unfortunately this doesn’t mean that the panic has gone, but ignoring it seems like a good way to start (as I should that mother who comments on me each day!!)

Typically, I can’t make a stab at clearing the backlog today, as Wednesdays are a busy day, as are Thursdays, and Friday afternoons, and this Saturday is already spoken for, as is Sunday morning. Dammit, I need to live on a planet with thirty hour days!

But enough bleating, things to do ;o)

8 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Mae said...

What sort of woman makes comments about how other women look that day. In fact, what sort of woman has time to make comments on other women. Frankly she sounds like a catty cow.

Let me know when you find a place with 30 hour days so I can move there too!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:50:00 pm  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Next time she says something like that to you, you should respond with an excited "OMG, so do you!" then smile sweetly and walk away. Maybe she'll shut her trap after that.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 2:12:00 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

Cake baking sounds like a cool job. Its fun to be creative with food! As long as you have the time to fit it in. Dont be afraid to say no (nicely) if you feel you have too much on your plate already.

As for the negative comments, ignore them. Some people just say little things to make them selves feel better. I dont know how making someone feel less about them selves is rewarding, but there are all sorts of folk out there!

Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:26:00 am  
Blogger Page Turner said...

I don't know what the point of that woman is who keeps commenting on your appearance. Has she ever said that you look good, or great, or fantastic at any time? If not, then she's just a bag, and if she has then you are choosing to dwell on the negative.

I realize, through your posts, that you are feeling overwhelmed right now but you will do what you have said you always do...'bounce'. Take a deep breath and repeat over and over "This will not go on forever."

I'm thinking of you. As strange as that may seem since we don't even know one another, but I am.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 2:51:00 am  
Blogger rdl said...

I hear you on the 30 hr. day. I'm convinced we could stay up all nite and day and still not get it all done.
We have to remind ourselves it ain't possible and just let some things go, they'll still be there tmrww, and the next day...

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:36:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why panic? Your cakes are amazing. I'm sure it takes you longer than you would like it to but you will develop speed as your business progresses. Will we be seeing you on the Martha Stewart show? :)

Thursday, March 16, 2006 4:19:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

My birthday's in September. Is it too late to order a cricket birthday cake?

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:03:00 am  
Blogger kyknoord said...

What nonsense! You look fantastic.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home