Saturday, March 11, 2006

I’m going to sleep well tonight.

Another mountain peak scaled! J’s birthday party is officially over and done with, except for the thank-you cards, but the hard work is done, my share’s been paid, and the party girl is happy.

Though she wasn’t earlier. For the first half of her party, she just lay around watching everyone else doing daft things (care of the incredibly expensive entertainers), and people kept commenting how pale and glum she looked, but to be honest I was just glad she was there.

Yesterday afternoon, after bringing a friend home to play, J walked in and announced that the sun had given her a headache and she felt sick. Then she promptly was sick. Thankfully my girl knows of my can’t do/won’t do policy, and had the sense to keep her mouth closed until she reached the bathroom. Then my mom walked in with S, and was kind enough to take over for me.

By seven last night the poor girl had asked to go to bed and I was wondering if I would be hosting a party without my partygirl. And worrying whether she’d let me take her cake for her friends to eat ;o).

Because she so loved her cake. And I guess the other kids did too, as the girls all begged for the ponies and flowers to eat (it was supposed to be My Little Pony theme).


It all went very well. Considering. By that I mean it was containable and no one ended up having their mother called, whether it be for behaviour or hospitalization. But blimey I’m tired!

Dread to imagine how the entertainers are feeling. They jumped about, blew whistles, shouted, danced and organised games from the moment they arrived (that was twenty minutes before the party began) until after the kids left. And they made me realise lots of people are happy to pay lots of money for these guys! They were good, they earned their money. But if people are willing to pay that sort of money for their kid’s party, then they might not find a character birthday cake, at twice a shop price, so bad. After all, not everyone is as tight as me!

Between that, and one of the mom’s asking if I’d do her daughter’s cake next month (though it’ll only be at cost, which will at last make me add them all), it’s got me thinking that some people might really be willing to pay me to do this.

But I have to get a bit better first. The friend’s birthday cake will help, and there’s a morning’s sugarcraft course on at the local college in a couple of months. And then maybe… with a bit of practice, and no problems from the Public Health people, I could do this.

But. Isn’t there always a bloody but?! I shall have to get quicker (as well as better!) as this cake took me about seven hours all told, and between that and the ingredients, I might be ending up paying people to take them!

Hoping that minor detail will be overcome with some more practice, and I’m planning on smuggling some plasticine into the house, so I can play at making things like ponies in the hope the sugarpaste sculptures will become easier (and better looking! And in case you're wondering, the things supporting the ponies heads were just there untill we got it to the venue.)

But I’ve sidetracked, this was supposed to be about J’s party. Bad mommy, as J would say. Yes, she tells me when I’m not a good mommy, which happens mostly when I say no to the third chocolate biscuit. But today I’ve been a good mommy, and said she could eat the entire front pony, though I was much relieved she only managed the forelegs (but I’m still a good mommy in her eyes! Ha!)

Anyways back to the party. Did I say I’m exhausted? My feet feel like they’ve been Christmas shopping. In fact I’m so tired I’ve just written this sentence three times and had to delete each for not making sense.

To finish, J was happy and felt fine, a fool boy volunteered to be cream pied, and after the other two moms had thought we were finished tidying and left, I discovered some little sweetheart had wallpapered the toilets with toilet paper (almost makes sense when I write it!) and stuffed paper towels down a loo. Aren’t I glad I we had this party in my Church’s Hall and there was no skipping away pretending I didn't know? But not to worry, an hour later it was all done, and J was sitting in an avalanche of strewn wrapping paper and wondering what was for dinner.

Did I mention I’m tired? I’m not doing rugby tomorrow, I’m on strike and deserve a lie in. Bad Mommy. Goodnight.

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Wow! You did a fab job on that cake. I think you've really got something there and I hope that you are able to pursue it. Isn't it nice when something you've planned and put so much time into turns out so well?

Good job.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:14:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

J's sick. J's fine.
Mommy's good. Mommy's bad.

By this time tomorrow, the rugby will be back on.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:57:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Holy cow! I'm baffled by how you constructed that cake...sugar sculpture...whatever you call it. I had had to look very closely at it because I would have thought the whole thing was made of clay, not sugar and cake! How does one learn how to do such a thing?

As far as practice goes...I remember when it used to take me 6 hours to groom three dogs, and now it only takes me 3 hours to groom three dogs. The old saying about practice makes perfect, is accurate, but it also makes one faster as well, which also makes more money!

You are a truly talented cake decorator. I would have liked to watch you make it because I really can't figure out how it's done!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:01:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Well done.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:39:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

Oh my - it sounds like a perfectly Wonderful party -the cake was Amazing - I want one like that too!!!!
It sounds like your daughter had a slight case of sunstroke - I hope she's feeling much better - and I bet the terrific party helped!
As they say in France - "Chapeau!"
(why do they say 'Hat'? I have no idea. Sometimes they say Bravo, like everyone else. LOL)

Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:07:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

That cake is fantastic! You definitely should start your own business.
Good Mommy, always.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:41:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Holy Moly! I was commenting to G-man on how cool looking that cake was but then I read further and realized YOU MADE IT! That is the coolest looking cake ever! You HAVE to start baking for profit. Anyone who can make a cake that looks like that HAS to make a career of it. Girl you rock!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 10:40:00 pm  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

YOU made this cake? Yes, you should be in the business, and charging a profit. I see a new career! This is beautiful.

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:10:00 am  
Blogger Karen said...

The cake is adorable!! I can see why you should go into business, you've got a talent for it.

I hope you had a good rest of the weekend :-)

Monday, March 13, 2006 11:22:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cake is amazing. You are so talented.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3:39:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home