Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Some weeks move so fast,

that when I look at my last post it feels like ages ago!

This is one of those weeks.

R’s pretty much back to normal. Normal being, answering back, questioning everything I tell him, butting in on conversations, sighing when I ask him to do anything, and fighting with his brother. We got him back to school yesterday, and for one whole day I didn’t have any children at home!

Of course, today is a new day. And S is home after complaining of feeling sick and asking to be kept home (unusual as she normally fights me even when sporting a raging temperature and crippling tummy ache!). But I don’t mind so much as I really don’t have time for all the school runs at the moment.

Bet that makes it sound like I have a busy life. And I suppose I do, in a backward sort of way. Backward because I’m not getting out, or doing anything very meaningful. This week’s rush is costumes.

On Thursday J’s school is celebrating World Book Day (unsure whether the World actually celebrates, but I guess it’s okay to use the term as the Americans have the World Series ;o)). J’s going as Little Red Riding Hood. Which is no problem as I had weeks to prepare and apart from the ribbon on the front of her cloak, her outfit is finished.

But I have the feeling P must have missed a notice (being off with all his sick days!) as he came home on Monday with a reminder that he should come into school on Friday in a favourite character outfit.

He decided upon Yoda, which is almost funny as his father used to say he looked remarkably similar when he was a baby, but I digress. Back to Yoda.

The problem is the boys don’t have too many dress up outfits. Certainly no Jedi Knight outfits. But at the same time, I feel I have to make an effort as he forgot to tell me about a pirate day last summer, and I sent him into school with a very weak attempt.

And I do have an old brown double duvet cover, no longer used. So for the past twenty four hours I have been manically sewing. The Jedi cloak is finished (he adores it!) and I’m now working on the tabard (tunic undergarments which you see when they throw off their cloaks to have a fight. We have a problem with the boots – as he doesn’t own any, but I’ll figure out something.

But I’m still trying to persuade him to just go as a knight, and not especially Yoda. I can cope with the green complexion (green paint mixed with sun cream turned my eldest into the Hulk many years ago) but the daft ears are just too much for me. And I have a cunning plan should he persist with the demand – I’ll get out my clippers and say it’s time to shave his head to look like Yoda!

Oh and I have to borrow a light-saber (my boys did once have some, but knocked so many things over, they mysteriously vanished), lest he end up looking like a monk.

Right well, my tea-break is over, and the sewing is calling. Wish me luck!

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

That sounds like a great idea, I'm sure it will turn out great :-) Good luck, even though you won't need it.

Have a great day!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:26:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Nothing wrong with monks.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:37:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Lol, sorry Dave! I didn't mean to insinuate there was anything wrong with monks ;o)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:52:00 pm  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

I think it's great that you can sew! I wish I could sew. I'm lucky to be able to hem my pant cuffs straight. Lucky kids.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:09:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

We have book week this week too. They were supposed to dress up today. Having forgot all about it until we were at the busstop, I told my son he was going as Junie B. Jones (regular 2nd grader). He was not amused.
Kristy

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:38:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Don't you just love the US - even their pants have cuffs!


Oh, that's what they call trousers/slacks, isn't it? ;)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 5:32:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

I guess you don't have a Wal-mart there - this giant dept. store with everything cheap. good for you making the costume for him!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:57:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Sometimes I really feel sorry for you. And then I remember who slept with the BH and how all that came about, and so, pish. Grin and bear it.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:13:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

I hope your head shaving plan doesn't backfire on you. And don't the schools there realize how much trouble they put you parents through with making all these costumes and such?

For Dave, I think North Americans call trousers, pants, and only old farts call them slacks.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 1:15:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter always reminds me about the purple corduroy shirt that I was going to make for her when she was 5. That was 20 years ago and the pieces are still cut out and pinned to the pattern.

I keep promising myself that I will finish the skirt one day however my daughter will no longer fit into it.

Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:08:00 am  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

We used a martial-arts uniform (found at Goodwill) for a Jedi warrior. Its black, so my little Darth went for it. Added a leather belt, stuck the pants down into the boots, and its ready to go. Besides, you can get away with a LOT of shortcuts as long as you have the light saber!

Hey, will you post a photo of the finished product?

Thursday, March 02, 2006 8:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home