Sunday, February 19, 2006

You're going to want to slap me

Not only do I not write a proper post, I'm also expecting you to give me answers!

Which is naughty as I know I’ve been a bit slack around here this past week and I am sorry and missing you all, but on the home front things having been moving along. The kids have now broken up for half term and we have a whole week with no schools runs. Instead we have extra rugby, swimming, J’s birthday and a day off for Daddy. It’s all kind of planned, except I haven’t gotten around to calling J’s friends yet for birthday tea. Would rather like to forget it really, as the house is a mess and the garden a jungle. But she's excited and so I’ll think about it tomorrow, after swimming.

Finished wallpapering the three walls of the office, and unfortunately I’m facing the wallpaper. But on the upside, my desk is always so cluttered you can hardly notice the design!

But I am making attempts to clear some space. Particularly in the nonsense-area clutter. You see I’m a bit of a hoarder at heart. Over the last few years I have managed to curb my habits, but am still swamped by useless items I purachased way back then, and have no real place in my life. And that’s where you come in!

I figured there must be some arty types among you, and I’m after some ideas for a few things I hate the idea of dumping. Basically because they’re old. It seems to me, if they’ve survived this long, it’s wrong that that I should be responsible for the end of their days.

I don’t even know what the first items are. I bought them at auction for a couple of quid as they struck me as quaint at the time. Which I know is a terrible reason, as well as a waste of money, and definitely I wouldn’t do it now. But I did then, and now I have them, and need a purpose for them.








I have about forty ‘slides’ and I’m guessing they were used with gas lights to make pretty pictures on the wall. A lot are religious, but some are of distant locations, others story based, and some might be family.


If you know what they are, or have any ideas what I could do with them, please let me know. And yes, I know when the BH reads this, he’ll be shouting ‘Put them in the bin!’ at the screen.



















Next up is the Bible. I’m sure I never meant to collect bibles, but everyone in the family seemed to pass one down to me. And then a couple of friends noticed and got an idea to give me more. Then there were a couple that seemed lonely at the auction house.











That’s how I got this particular bible. Except it’s not really a bible. Was once. Once it was a huge beautiful bible (17"x11"), originally printed in MDCCVII (1707), now it’s a pile of pictures. The maps are gone, and that’s why the thing is just jumbled pages, as it’s the maps people like to destroy the old bibles for.


But the point is, it’s nearly three hundred years old and I can’t just throw the pages in the bin. And I don’t really want to part with them anyway. But at the same time, I’m not into the idea of framing the most detailed pictures and hanging them around my house – apart from the cost of framing and possibly appearing a tad keen to visitors, they’re awfully depressing depictions and dull to boot!

I did have a thought about wall-papering the cloakroom with them. But…it doesn’t seem quite right on too many levels.

So what do I do? I could offer them to the local museum, but I donated stuff from our last renovation job and the man said they were always inundated with people’s old rubbish (though he swore he loved the light fitting I was handing him!). And anyway, what would they do there? No one would get to see them. Not really.

So. What to do. Tell me! Dump them? Send them to auction? Paper the cloakroom? Give them to the kids to colour in? Force them upon the museum?

Knowing me, they’ll sit under my desk for another seven years!

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I would find a better museum for one thing! I don't think what you've found is rubbish and they should be protected. They look marvelous!

Monday, February 20, 2006 12:47:00 am  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

See if a local art teacher has a use for them. Best I can come up with.
Kristy

Monday, February 20, 2006 2:26:00 am  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Jona, my advice is to sell them on ebay. I don't know if they are worth anything, but at least some religious type person could use them to paper their cloak room if they desired to do so.

I know what you mean about having so many things that have no place in your life. I've got so many useless items, but yet I keep thinking "I might need that someday." I even take pride in knowing that if someone said "Hey, do you have a so-in-so?" I can say, "Why, YES, I have three so-in-so's and a thing-a-ma-jig too!!!"

Monday, February 20, 2006 3:02:00 am  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Wow, you have some pretty cool treasures! I wouldn't have a clue as to what you should do with them but I tell you there is no way I would part with them if I were you. Those are treasures!

Monday, February 20, 2006 3:54:00 am  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

oh boy - i'm at a loss for what to tell you. i'll think on it and if i come up with anything good i'll be back....

Monday, February 20, 2006 5:05:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

I'll echo Tim here - sell them on e-bay. Excellent advice.
I love the idea of papering the walls with the pictures, lol, but it would be a pity to do that with 300 yr old paper. It might find a better home with a collector.
Maybe take one or two of your favorite engravings and put them in glass frames (very cheap when you buy a cardboard mat and then the glass press frame -) and put them in the hallway or cloakroom. Then sell the rest on e-bay!

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:04:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

I must admit, these are the sort of things I've been known to 'collect' too. e-bay has to be the right answer.

However, in answer to your opening remarks, if you really want slapping...

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:58:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

I vote for ebay too. Neat stuff, Jona. My crap is so much more mundane than yours! :)

Monday, February 20, 2006 11:09:00 am  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

ebay is the go, I think so too !!
I'm a mega-collecter, too, and am running out of room in my house to put stuff. Time for a spring clean in my house (oops, it's nearly autumn ... will that do !!). Take care, Meow

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:20:00 am  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

I love, love, LOVE old stuff! That bible looks really neat. I'd say send it to me but it would just sit in my corner and collect dust. I'm sure there is a museum somewhere that would want it. Pretty sure it's worth something. I hope you find a good home for it. Any book that is that old is valuable. Ebay is probably a good bet.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 6:33:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home