Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Losing my mummy points!

Remember how I said I’d turned into Miss Popular and was visiting with people this week? Well, now I’m not. I knew this would happen. Though it wasn’t anything I did, just that P is ill AGAIN. Except this time, he's REALLY ill. The poor lad has got that nasty Norwalk tummy virus for sure, though I think he has had it three times before, just not this bad.

What makes it so bad this time is, he can’t stop being sick. And I don’t do sick.

You’d think after so many years of being a mom, I would have learned to cope with the sight, smell and sound. And in fact the sight doesn’t send me over the edge, and my sense of smell is poor anyway, but the SOUND. Ick! Ick, Ick, ICK!! There’s no other noise like it!

Just to make matters that little bit harder the BH had an early morning meeting and I had to do all the school runs – which meant having P in the car for over an hour . With a bowl. And when I say he can’t stop being sick, I don’t mean he actually is continuously sick (his stomach isn’t that big!), I mean he can’t go ten minutes without retching and making that horrible sound.

So being an awful mother who can’t do sick, I had to drive along with the windows open wide to make sure I didn’t catch a whiff, and the radio turned up high to drown him out. Dread to think what people thought as I drove past, shouting my apologies for being such a rubbish mom, back at him.

And then I had to do this at lunchtime too, to pick up S as the BH was still in meetings. But I’ve told S we’re not going to swimming this afternoon (she sobbed and told me I wasn’t a nice mommy. Not doing well today!) and I’ve arranged pick-up for J, and R is walking home. So at least there’s no more driving today stuck in a car with him!

I sound heartless, don’t I? I am. I’m horrid, and I DON’T DO SICK!!

10 Comments:

Blogger MarkD60 said...

I remember when I was very little. If I was sick I would call my Mom. I knew I was growing up a little when it occured to me that she might not appreciate being there and that it didn't do any good anyway. So I quit calling her. Nowadays when I'm sick I want to be alone. I don't want anyone babying me or even seeing me.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:06:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Poor P. I'm with you though, I don't do sick either. Greg has no problem with it and has been known to even hold my hair when I am getting sick. I just want to be left alone when I do that. Ugh.

I hope the rest of you don't get that sickness.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:31:00 pm  
Blogger phoenix said...

LOL! I don't do sick either. My youngin is finally old enough to handle that part on his own. But he still wants me to hold him before and after, so all's good!

Hope it doesn't pass around!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:05:00 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm sorry P is sick, poor guy. I am not a mother, but even with being chief babysitter of two of my nephews I could never handle the sick part of it, I got sick right along with them. LOL Dirty diapers? Made me sick too.

No, that doesn't make you a horrid Mum! Some people are more sensitive to the smells and sounds that others. I completely understand.

I hope P feels better and that he keeps the germs to himself. ;-)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:08:00 pm  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

I guess my mom didn't "do sick" either, cuz I always called my dad when I was sick! It never seemed to bother him.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 3:41:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Sick is alright if it's my child, but I can't "do sick" for anyone else. I have a hard enough time 'doing sick' if the dogs I look after puke on the floor.

Is there anything you can do for the poor boy or does it just have to run it's course? If it isn't one thing, it's another, eh, Jona?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:45:00 pm  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Awww! Sorry to hear P is sick again. Seems that nasty mess is everywhere and hitting everyone. I sure hope he begins to feel better soon.

Like the others, I don't like to be around anyone when I'm sick etiher - just leave me to myself. Of course, P's too young to leave alone but maybe one day you won't have to "do sick" like you're having to "do sick" today! :)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:24:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Tell the BH to put in some overtime, for you are going to have to rent taxis.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:32:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

My ex had a very sensitive sense of smell, which stopped her doing all sorts of things...

Vomit is something I've become used to.

Although strangely, since I've been on my own, I haven't been sick once.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:26:00 am  
Blogger thewriterslife said...

Hope P is feeling better!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home