Monday, January 30, 2006

Move along, nothing to read here.

So every day I sit and wonder what I’m going to type about. Some days it’s obvious, as some escapade leaves me with the need to get it down, whether it be to share my frustration, or amusement. Other days…nothing!

Today is a nothing day. And it’s no real surprise as I’ve done nothing today. Except the usual of course, like shopping, clearing-up, bleaching a damp infested wall, and the school runs. I could type a vitriol about the man who’s supposed to be picking up my (absent and overseas) friend’s computer, as he’s the reason I’ve stayed in, and phone kept close in case he can’t find the house. Bet the sod calls to say he’s coming tomorrow. And then I’ll have to get shirty and point out that I do have a life, or would, if I didn’t have to stay home waiting on people.

Maybe I should tell you about Hamish. You’ve heard about this sweetheart before, J’s first boy friend (no not boyfriend, boy friend – she’s not mad about the male of the species. Yet.) He came out of class this afternoon, and eyed up the group of teenage girls waiting for another of his classmates. After waiting to see who the bevy of beauties were waiting for, he turned to his mother and announced, ‘Felicity’s got sexy friends!’ Bearing in mind he’s only four, his mother and I shared astonished giggles. And I guess being the youngest of three boys does make aware of these things a lot earlier!

And he is nearly five, as is my J. In fact they share their birthday and are supposed to be having a party together. I say supposed to be, because us grown-ups have talked about it for the last three months but have yet to book anything. We have a date on Wednesday to finalise what we’re doing. And I’m worried.

I thought sharing a party would mean a saving in my pocket. On the location front I think I’ve got some promising options, and Hamish’s mom told me with glee that she’s found a wonderful childrens act to entertain the monsters darlings with. But bloody hell do they cost! Two men, doing something with custard pies and other silly things comes to near on two hundred quid. Is it me, am I tight? Well yes, I know I am, but I wouldn’t be if I actually had the money to throw at these things. But I don’t. But I also can’t see how I can get out of it. I guess there’s a lesson for me – do not agree to share kids birthday parties with people who (obviously) have money!

Oh well, guess we live and learn. And maybe I should get into childrens entertainment?! On second thoughts, only two hundred pounds?

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

You would have to pay me conisderably more than that to get me to stand up in front of a group of people and keep them happy...

..oh, hang on, that's what they pay me peanuts for now.

So how do you go about becoming a children's entertainer?

Monday, January 30, 2006 4:44:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

200? A mere bagatelle...

Monday, January 30, 2006 8:01:00 pm  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Seems like I was always broke when it was time for my kids' birthdays. They never seemed to notice!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:54:00 am  
Blogger Monique said...

THe kids always seem to have fun whether you spend a bundle or not...

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:16:00 am  
Blogger Page Turner said...

I have to agree with Monique. Seriously, is this something your child will remember when she is 30? Probably not. Last year I took 10 kids to a movie-theatre party and spent WAY too much money. This year my boy invited 3 friends over for an afternoon play-date with pizza, cake, and presents. I don't think he really felt jipped that I cheaped-out. You could always fib and tell the Hamish's mother that a relative wants to have a family party at her house instead.

Yeah, I'm the queen of fibs, especially if it gets other people to leave me alone. LOL

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home