Tuesday, January 24, 2006

So beautiful…

…I could kick myself! Why is it I keep forgetting my camera?! This morning was exquisite. I woke at half-four and in the moonlight I could see the frost already forming across the lawn. I told myself to get up so I could take a picture, but I closed my eyes for just a second…and then it was half-six and time to rouse the house.

Of course I could have taken a picture right then, but my mind was on who was doing what today, and I didn’t stop to look at the mist till it was light and the girls were getting in the car.

Every road I took revealed more beauty. Almost like a sprinkling of snow, but more perfect because you could still see the sharpness of everything and the dulled colours revealed.

And then the sun rose! Properly! No grey sky today, instead a clear brilliant blue with bright sunshine to make the world sparkle. But not for long. Where the sunlight touched, true colour appeared.

But all day through the shaded patches of lawn, hedges and tress have held the magic of quiet and stillness, contrasted against the noise and vigour of…something beyond winter. Perfectly beautiful, and I am SO glad!




9 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Your post almost makes me want to get up early just so I can see the beginning of the day that way too. Luckily I came to my senses just in time. Don't scare me like that! ;-)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:13:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

In elementary school, we loved mornings like this. We would take a running leap at the grass to see how far we could slide. Sometimes, we'd use a scrap of cardboard as a sled, but more often than not we just got our pants wet. Great fun, especially since we never had snow in the LA area.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:42:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm feeling quite frustrated. We had a good frost here, and I'm taking today as my day off, rather than tomorrow, because I've got a funeral on wednesday, so a good opportunity to get out with the camera again.

But I had to wait in all morning, for someone who wanted to meet me - but she never turned up. Sent her a snotty e-mail, and went for a walk after lunch, but the frost had all gone.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:10:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

Looks like spring is just around the corner! We may, MAY, get to see a little snow on our road trip this weekend. I hope so!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had frost here also and I almost landed on my butt in the driveway. Serves me right for wearing high-heels in the winter.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:21:00 am  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

That is so well written, and the picture is so nice: Could you show us a picture of your cottage?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:46:00 am  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Pretty picture :)

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 5:08:00 am  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Are you actually saying that you were up for the sunrise? My god. I thought I knew you...
(not exactly a morning person myself--you might have guessed)
Kristy

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 5:35:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

That's a beautiful picture. How nice to know there are people with green grass in January.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home