Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I’m slipping…

On Monday I thought I was on the mend and made plans to catch up with all the things I should have done weeks ago. I even had a list with a realistic timetable. But then on Tuesday I woke up in agony. That cold that had passed so quickly last week was simply in hiding upon my chest, and yesterday I could barely move or talk.

The BH was as wonderful as ever and ran around raising his stress levels and cursing the horrid school runs, as I slept on the couch. And then this morning I’m better again!

But behind. Luckily I managed to meet with the moms from school as I had planned, and had the opportunity to chat with Hamish’s mom about this party act. After taking a deep breath I admitted I couldn’t afford it, and she was great! We agreed to have the party at another location where everything is thrown in at a set price. Unfortunately, in the years since I’ve used that location, the price has doubled and I’d be no better off – so I’m back to square one and will have to talk with her tomorrow.

And there are a dozen other things I haven’t seen to, that I should. You don’t need to hear about them because: A. you’ve probably got similar things in your life and don’t need reminding, and B. how stressful can just being a mom be?

Except I am stressed. I’ve got this constant nausea eating at me. There are so many loose ends I don’t know where to start and I’m feeling like a rabbit caught in headlights, too afraid to move.

And I saw a rabbit this morning. Sitting by the wheel of my car as I was about to leave my friends house. I went back in and asked if it was hers. But it wasn’t. Just some poor sick thing trying to find somewhere quiet to die. She suggested I put it out of its misery by running it over. But my nausea nearly made an exit with the very thought and after seeing my face she said she’d get her husband to see to it when he came home.

Shame the morning had to end like that though, as I had been feeling better after chatting with these women. I’m still amazed at how friendly they all are, and how honest. People are incredibly screwed up and I like this bunch because they don’t mind admitting it. Not sure what that says about me, but as one of the moms said, she’s happiest with her own kind (meaning other mothers who don’t always cope!) Just wish we could come up with a magic solution between us.

Having said that, on the kids front, things are pretty good. We’re still finding bean bag balls all over the house, but I’m able to laugh. But poor R (my eldest) is learning about growing up, after he left his bag in his classroom and had all his pens stolen. We’re not happy because his art pens cost a fortune, and instead of doing anything (like asking the other kids if they’d seen anything) his teacher shrugged and told R it was his own fault for leaving his bag unattended. Well I contradicted the teacher when R told me, and said that though R was naïve, it wasn’t his fault there’s a bloody thief at his school. And apparently there is quite a problem. But do the school send out letters warning us to mark everything? Or do spot searches to try and catch the thieving gits? No. They tell the victims it’s their own fault and do absolutely nothing. I’m actually bloody annoyed and shall stop there, before this nausea gets any worse.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Sympathy.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:54:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

You poor thing, I hope you feel better. Maybe you need to come and sleep on my couch while I ply you with comic books, cartoons, childrens tylenol, and sprite too like Lil Miss did today.

So the teacher is saying it's okay to steal. That's exactly the message she gives out by not talking to the kids about stealing when something is stolen from a classmate. What a cow!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:40:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

Can you make a complaint to the school about the teacher's attitude? It sounds like the stealing is clearly a problem, and it's so wrong to blame the victims!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:10:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Take two deep breaths and call me in the morning....

Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:53:00 am  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Well, I must say, there is one line in your post that I definately have issue with: "and B. how stressful can just being a mom be?" I'm sure you didn't actually mean to say "just being a mom", but in case you did, I've got to tell you that people have done a study and they say, these people say that being a full time mother is the equivalent of TWO full time jobs!! As well, what other job is more important than raising children? They are our future leaders. We will all look to them for guidance and assistance when we are old, and I've got to tell you, that some of the poor kids I see these days are all going to stuff us into our graves when we're still alive just to get us out of their hair because their parents are too busy working outside the home and buying their pretty things to give a shit about their kids.

I say Thank You to you for being the kind of mother that I had as a child...one that stays at home and looks after her children, one that cooks, cleans, and irons the clothes, one that volunteers to go on the school trip to the zoo, and one that makes her kids breakfast, lunch, and supper. The world needs more mothers like you.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 3:26:00 am  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

I agree with tim-tambolini. I think that your job as a mother is an extremely important one, and I think that you are a great mother. I'm sorry that you are not feeling well, and I hope that you get better soon.

As for the teacher, maybe she's the one taking the kids things to try to "teach them a lesson". Just a thought.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:40:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home