Saturday, February 04, 2006

I meant to post last night

But I was just too exhausted. Though strangely unstressed!

I expected it to be hard having six kids through the day, mostly because other people’s children sometimes irritate me, not that mine don't too! But it all went incredibly well.

Barely heard a word from the boys, which I think was due to them being left alone with the playstation. It was certainly the equivalent of P’s dream day! Didn’t feel a moment of guilt either, as I was too darn busy with the girls!

In the morning we coloured in a huge sheet of paper and made fairy cakes. Neither of the guests had ever baked before and it was hilarious when they tried to break the eggs – one was virtually afraid and tapped hers till it was a mass of cracks, before having to poke her finger through the shell (resulting in five minutes shell removal by me). The other watched and decided not to take so long. I’m sure you can guess the mess she made as she walloped it on the side of the bowl!

Thankfully I had asked their moms to dress them in old stuff, so the spread of chocolate wasn’t a crisis. Did hesitate over letting someone else’s child lick the bowl (not literally!) as a lot of folks are freaky over raw eggs, but I wasn’t in time to make the decision!

Can you believe the fairy cakes took us most of the morning, so it was after lunch before we make the final batch of Daisy’s Kiss Cookies. I say final because we used the last of the kisses, though I shall be attempting a variation with the peanut butter cookie.

By the time the mothers arrived to collect their darlings, both girls had decided they didn’t want to leave and sobbed to stay a while longer. I’m taking this as a compliment, though it extended the day by another hour. And both moms were thrilled with their treat packages to take home (but I’m thinking they’ll be cursing me before the weekend is over, as I can bet those girls will harp on about baking again!)

All in all, it went really well, and the BH was very surprised to find me still smiling when he got home.

I wasn’t a while later mind! The tale of R’s pen theft just gets better! When all his pens were stolen last week, we checked he had at least one black ink pen for class – which he did, because it had been in his top pocket at the time of the theft.

Then the following day his teacher asks to borrow a pen and R lent his. But it wasn’t returned and R’s too shy to ask. So all week he’s kept quiet, but ended up telling us after getting marked down by another teacher for writing in pencil (he’s told R to come back and get remarked when he’s written it out in ink.)

I’m not amused! Especially as I called the school on Thursday requesting a meet with his teacher (it’s a young man BTW. Very young.) and his teacher calls me back (at home) at three-forty-five in the afternoon.

Seeing as R doesn’t come out of school till three-thirty-five, I almost feel like he was avoiding me. He probably wasn’t, but honestly, the brains of the man!

And I’ve been stirring. Talking with other mothers, (well email really, as I never see anyone at that school anymore as I’m always late from J’s) asking whether they’ve had problems (which I kinda already know they have) and what the school did about it. Turns out absolutely nothing, even when letters were written.

I’m thinking this poor teacher better jump when I go in, or I shall collect my resources and make his life merry hell. I’m also planning to tackle the poor mark issue, by commenting that some teacher didn’t return R’s pen (Him! It was him!), it’ll be interesting to see if I can make the boy him blush. That’s not very kind, is it? Maybe I’ll have cooled by then, but right now I’m cross at the thoughtlessness, and assumption I have money to throw around and replace these things ‘just-like-that’!


Umm, I posted this earlier and it vanished! If it appears twice, you now know why ;o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Hey I had problems with blogger today too. It ate th post that I posted this morning, I had to repost it tonight. Darn blogger!

I can't believe you are still sane after a Saturday baking wiht not only yours, but others children as well. You deserve the Mom of the Year award! It loked like they were enjoying themselves with the baking. I hope it all turned out okay.

I would tear that teacher a new one if you know what I mean! What nerve!

Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:45:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

It is a sign of having reached a certain age when teachers start looking young.

Not that I would know myself, you understand.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:54:00 am  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Congratulations on wrangling six kids--I don't think I could have done it myself. The cooking was brilliant.
Kristy

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:26:00 am  
Blogger poopie said...

Sounds like a lovely baking day with the girls! As for the teacher, take him on and teach him a thing or two. Congratulations on being FTS site of the week :)

Sunday, February 05, 2006 3:21:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Congratulations on showing those little girls what a mother looks like. My son has baked plenty of times with me and I just can't believe the state of this world where mothers work so much and NEVER bake! It's a crying shame! My mother cooked and baked all the time. We never ate out and we never had treats bought at a store. I'm not as good as my mother, but even my own father told me my apple pie was a close second to my mother's.

I too am having problems with teachers. Seems that although we live in different parts of the world, our issues are still the same.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home