Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Help!

Good grief, it’d be easier to arrange a trip to Everest than organise a child’s birthday party around here!

Can’t have the party on the 9th ‘coz it’s the girls sports day at nursery, can’t do the 10th ‘coz we’ve got a family commitment and J’s at a party and it would mean me left to supervise the monsters on my own (not bloody likely!) so I’m trying for after school on the 8th . But that’s easier said than done…

I called the cinema and there are no new PG movies out till Madagascar on the 15th (a week too late!), we can’t take the entire class swimming ‘coz half of them can’t swim, and the cost! What about the cost?! I thought about having it here, but the carpets only went down four weeks ago and the house isn’t really finished, and the gardens a bloody mess anyway, and it’s too big to get spic-and-span in the one weekend I have left! And then there’s the weather, we’re close enough to the UK to inherit the changeable conditions Britain is known for!

Begged P not to say a word to his classmates today (what d’ya recon the odds are?!), and have tried to explain that twenty-four children is just too many for me to deal with, and to think about which boys he can play with nicely. Also tried to persuade him to put it off till the summer holidays so there’ll be some movies for him to see ~ but oh no, he wants it next week.

Am debating a playzone, but some of the boys are nearly eight, and the last thing I want to do is have the party condemned as babyish!!

Arrrggghhh, with any luck my head will explode and then I won’t care any more!

Any ideas gratefully received…


On top of that, the little sod came to me at eight-thirty last night and announced he had to go to school as a pirate today (slipped his mind as he was busy thinking about his party!). Luckily I am super-mom (well, I’m not, but he hasn’t figured that out yet!) and improvised by cutting up some jeans, a bit of eye liner (think Captain Jack) and wrapping a scarf around his head. What d’ya think?


7 Comments:

Blogger MarkD60 said...

Fine lookin' Pirate! The missing tooth makes it all the better.

Places to have a party....

do any fast food places have a little party room?

small small conference room at a hotel? (Ok bad idea)

community centers?

laser tag or paintball gun places?

Arcades with video games? You could have it at a mall and have pizzaa or fast food at one place and video games or movies at another...

Call P's friends Moms or his teacher and ask for ideas? surely you can't be the first in this predicament!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:35:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

Hey Mark - why don't you take them scuba diving?

In fact, I'd like to come along for that. Need any chaperones, Debi?

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:50:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Hey Mark, Definitely some good ideas -- but my island must be smaller than yours :o(

No fast food party rooms (we only have three ff joints!), one arcade miles from anywhere else, and we did the community centre last time with us entertaining them (I still shudder at the memory), but the Quasar idea is BRILLIANT (we just got one of those!) and I have just telephone. They’re saying they don’t accept kids under twelve, but I have begged, and the manager is calling me back (fingers crossed ‘coz P would adore that ;o)).

We definitely can’t doing the swimming as they want a 2:1 adult ratio!! Also trying for pizza hut then back home to finish with a magician – have left enquiries all over peoples’ answer-phones – will let you know!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:54:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Hey Maureen, if I get enough chaperones I might be able to take them swimming ;o) You're more than welcome!!

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:56:00 am  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hmm. Wasn't he one of the Village People?

I am so glad I'm not within kicking distance.

Shame your son doesn't want to wait for Madagascar. Of course, that IS a rather expensive party, unless you can get the other parents to buy tickets for their kids. Around here, it seems a given that the parents of the birthday child will pop for the tickets AND pizza afterwards. Makes me almost glad my kid is a loner.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great costume you put together in a pinch.

I haven't had to put together any kids parties for years, (my kids are 27 and 25) so I am seriously out of practice.

Good luck to you. :)

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 7:25:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Village people, eh Doug? Well, of course, not all of us are old enough to really remember them…;o)



Hi Lita, actually it seems I was lacking! All the other boys appeared to have shop bought costumes and when we got to school I winced for my poor baby. But P speaks his mind and the first thing he said to an immaculately dressed pirate was: Why are you dressed as Peter Pan? the child’s face fell and I got a look from the mother! Ooops, but at least P had a good day!

Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:49:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home