Tuesday, June 21, 2005

It's sooooo mean!

Four years ago my better-half and I made the worst decision of our lives (to date) and bought the house-from-hell. It wasn’t like we didn’t know the house was a money pit, we just didn’t imagine it would swallow all our money before we had enough bedrooms and put a roof on. But I’m not going to gripe about the house because I made peace with my horrid home last summer, accepting what it is, and what it shall never be.

For four years I have dug, plastered, sanded and painted, all the time living without luxuries, memories and my books, and now the end is in sight and I would like to be happy about it.

But my mean, better-half is ruining it all!

We’re opposites. He’s likes clean lines and no clutter. I just like my things! He says 'if you’ve lived without them for four years, you can live without them'. He made me give away the old baby clothes today. Five bags of tiny t-shirts and cute socks, (but he doesn’t know I sneaked a pink A-line dress into the baby memory box – HA!) He’s put one bookcase in the hall and told me that’s where my books are going. ONE BLOODY BOOKCASE!! Are you kidding?(Just because he doesn’t like to read books over!). And he doesn’t want my favourite painting up, recons it looks like an old man smoking a joint (it’s a PIPE okay?). He prefers the floor without my big rug (although if I allow the kids to eat chocolate on the new carpet…), and now he says the room looks bigger without the third sofa (fair enough it does, but there aren’t enough seats without it and they all match – you can’t get rid of one!).

I can’t deny I like clean lines (less dusting!!) but we have a big garage, and some spare larder units, and if we boxed up all his stuff…(well actually, that wouldn't make much difference -- but the kids' have lots!!)


I WANT MY THINGS! I’VE EARNT THEM!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sabine said...

Tell that husband of yours that I say you can have all your stuff!

And tell him to go smoke a haggis if he doesn't like it!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 10:57:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Your life must be hell. Your tolerance level is sooooo high.
You poor tortured thing! A mere mortal couldn't take it!
:-D

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:57:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Thank you, Maureen! I don’t mind giving a little on the old clothes, but my books are a no-go area and I’ll fight for ‘em!

And Mark… you wouldn’t be taking the mickey, would you ;o?

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:20:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

At least you know how to sand and do those other constructionly things you mentioned. I can't even change the ball-thingy on the toilet without making a mess of it. Karen's good at fixing electronic thingamabobs, but neither of us have much knack for home stuff. As for your stuff: why are you asking him? Just move the stuff back in. Like you need his permission!?

Thursday, June 23, 2005 1:40:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Doug, in my younger days that's exactly what I would have said! But unfortunately over the years I have discovered my husband had the irritating habit of being right (a bit like you actually!!). And, if I’m honest, I doubt we could get all my stuff in this horrid house!

Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:50:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home