Saturday, June 25, 2005

Bizarre

Three cheers for me! I managed to get J to party on time today! I did have a moment of panic as I was driving there because I couldn’t find the invitation and began to doubt our destination. But I did it! I got it right and have removed myself from the top spot as ‘The mom who NEVER gets anywhere on time’.

In fact, we were the second to arrive (which added to my destination doubts, and I had to ask at the desk to make sure it was Catherine’s party). Once shoes were removed and my first born princess was hairing around the playzone, I sat down and smiled at the other mothers as they arrived. Over the following ten minutes I began to feel very uneasy. I only knew one person there (and not very well).

This is not something I’m used to, and I wasn’t expecting it. J’s in her second year at nursery, and I’m in my sixth. I always know a few parents, if not from nursery then simply because we live in a small place.

The one woman I did recognise I’ve never chatted to before (largely because I’ve conversed with her husband, and don’t like him. This is extremely unusual in itself, as I can count the people I don’t like on one hand). She was very polite, but I got the distinct impression her husband may have told her about the abruptly ended conversation he had with J’s mom.

The woman on my left was all for a natter whilst our girls played together (in a padded environment!), but this was a problem as I wasn’t sure if she was a nursery mom, and didn’t want to ask. I know that sounds daft. But there are only twenty places at nursery, and although some are shared, it doesn’t sound very polite to point out you’ve never noticed them. And what if her child’s been there the entire time J has? J’s never mentioned a Rachel, and on the mornings I’ve help out, I’ve never noticed them either. So I kept stum, and smiled at everything she said.

Then the food arrived and the party girl demanded J sat next to her. This confused me more as there was a clamour of little voices begging for the spot, and J has never mentioned this girl before two weeks ago! She behaved impeccably (I can always count on J!), right up until the ice cream arrived. And I don’t blame J for stirring it into a liquid and splattering it across the table; no, I blame the father of girl next to her who showed her how to do it!

The party finished well, with three of the parents complimenting me on my daughter and asking what school she goes to. With my biggest smile yet, I explained J’s only four and isn’t starting school until September.

It should have ended there. On a high note. But then one of the mothers asked which nursery she attends. Turns out they’re all BB nursery parents, and have never noticed us. Ho-hum.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not like going to parties where I don't know anyone but it seems to get easier the older I get. I guess I don't care as much as I used to. LOL

Saturday, June 25, 2005 7:33:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Sorry, Debi. I really shouldn't let her drink and type.

Best,

Doug

Sunday, June 26, 2005 4:40:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Lita – I’m alright if I know I’m not going to know anyone, but I get nervous when things take an unexpected turn!

Hi Bare Rump – It was in a pub! Quite a few of our ale houses have gigantic playzones for the kids, that way everyone’s kept happy ;o)

Hi Doug – Strangely, I had no trouble reading BR’s post!

Sunday, June 26, 2005 3:46:00 pm  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Hi Debi, thanks for leaving your message about a comment problem on my blog. I had messed around with my template adding links and somehow deleted some important information. Fortunately, my husband is a computer genius and he fixed it for me. Like your site too.

Monday, June 27, 2005 4:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home