Sunday, February 26, 2006

The end of half term

And you can tell, because they’re all still asleep!

The alarm went off this morning, and if I was a good parent, I would have hurried to wake P for rugby. But he looked all cute and snugly under his duvet, so I let him be. Then I fell over another duvet, the one I left in the hall at four this morning after the littlest horror woke me with a screech to say her bed was wet. I do wish she would stop doing that – not so much the bed wetting, but the sound she makes as she hurls herself down the hall with shock and indignation that I would allow such a thing to happen to her! It’s like living with a bad-tempered banshee. But then I suppose banshees are supposed to be bad-tempered.

Anyway I’m losing track! This is quickie post because it’s Sunday and my biggest boy returns home today! By now, he should be back in the UK and if the early morning flight is empty, he could be home within the hour. But it’s the end of half term, so that’s unlikely, and we’ll probably see him around lunchtime when his seat is booked.

Been an odd ten days without him. He’s been away for a week before, and last time the house got really quiet. Not this time. This time it exploded with noise as the dynamics altered. Usually, it’s my boys fighting and the girls playing nicely, so when R isn’t here P wanders around feeling lost. But this week, P decided to make S his new best friend. At the expense of J. The result: the girls have fought more this week, than in their entire lives! It shall be interesting to see if things can resume their normal balance. I hope so, as the boys don’t get so upset and wail the house down, when they have a falling out.

And I’ve really missed R. I hadn’t realised how much I talk with him. Ha! That sounds daft. I always knew I talked to him a lot, but I hadn’t thought about how grown up our conversations had become. This week I got plunged back into life with only those under eight, and the conversation value is crap! Especially as P isn’t very articulate and often forgets the point of what he’s trying to say (which can be kind of cute, unless you’re busy, or driving, or trying to listen to the news, or attempting to retain your sanity).

Anyways, I’m hoping R took lots of lovely pictures with a little camera I lent him, so I may be back later to bore you with his holiday snaps.



And for those of you who have arrived after searching for ‘she wets her bed’ (you wouldn’t believe how popular that phrase is!), GO AWAY, as I have a strong suspicion you’re not after tips on how to encourage your toddler dry! (But if you are, please leave a comment and I’ll publicly apologise whilst my faith in humanity goes up a notch!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

It's a good thing you've got us to chat to, with all those kids around.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:25:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

Funny how after writing my post last nite about my boy, I came here and found your very amusing and touching post. how old is he? Hope things settle back to "normal". :D

Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to write a book about family life. Seriously.

Monday, February 27, 2006 4:45:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

That's so great that your son is coming home today - hurray!
I once gave a disposable camera to my twins to take photos with, and they finished it, then proceeded to rip the film out, because they'd seen me do that with my normal camera. LOL. No pictures at all came out.
This is how I trained my toddlers: I let them help me make their bed, and when I put the plastic sheet down, I said, "Look, this sheet is special. You can't ruin your bed with it if you pee." Then I put the other sheets on, and that was it. my kids were never nervous about ruining their beds. I think that has a lot to do with it - Oh, and a night light to help them find the bathroom, lol.

Monday, February 27, 2006 8:48:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Sam, special sheets, night lights, begging, and bribery are all common place in this house ;o) Odd part is she never used to wet her bed. Hoping it's just a phase!

Monday, February 27, 2006 1:02:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home