Friday, March 03, 2006

Highs and lows of Momdom

Happiness is… a Jedi outfit. At least, it is for P!


Expressions of his happiness include:


Today was the first time in weeks that the boy didn’t want it to snow, for fear school might be cancelled.

Last night, in anticipation of the final try-on, he jigged manically while clapping his hands like a seal. (Umm, do seals clap? You know what I mean, right?)

Though once the outfit was on, he stood straighter than I ever seen him do, and called me Master without a hint of humour.

After everyone was supposed to be in bed, he thought I couldn’t see him standing just outside the door, watching me sew the finishing touches.

He asked if he could wear this outfit for special occasions, like weddings. (I said No!)

This morning, once dressed, his demeanour again became serious and he took out his light sabre to check he could perform his moves.


And I have to admit, it’s a shame Jedi Knights and their training isn’t real, as I swear he’s found his calling!



Should be interesting to see what sort of day he has, especially as there’s a boy in his class going as Darth Maul – which in itself isn’t amazing, but the boy in question has a history with P. Can’t say I worry about P and this lad though, as they’re an even match, and if truth be told I think P would like him, if I didn’t. But I do (he’s my favourite out of his school year), and it drives P bonkers. In fact I once had to remove P from a party because these two kept punching each other, and not in a little boy fashion either! But I’m sure the teacher must see the friction and with any sense she’ll remove the light sabres when they go out on break. And if she doesn’t…well, maybe it’s time Maul and Anakin settled their differences once and for all.

As you can probably guess, I’m feeling pleased with myself (as I always do when I make the kids happy!) but my elation at waving P off to school was unfortunately, short lived.

S has been off nursery since Wednesday. On the first day, she just said she felt sick and didn’t want to go. If it had been one of my other children, they still would have had to have gone, but S adores nursery and the simply fact she didn’t want to go had me thinking she must be feeling terrible. And she didn’t seem right in herself, off her food, and quieter than normal. So yesterday when she said she still felt poorly, she stayed home again.

But then last night, she was bounding around with the others and I asked her if she felt better and she said yes. So this morning I put out her clothes for nursery, expecting her to go. But her complaints started, she didn’t want to go, she felt sick, she didn’t want breakfast – but at the same time, I was convinced she wasn’t actually ill.

So after the boys left we had a sit down and I asked her if something had happened at nursery. For a few minutes, she said no, but I kept pushing knowing that even when ill, she’s always wanted to go before. And sure enough, she burst into tears.

Between the sobs (and I mean really loud heart-wrenching SOBS) she managed to tell me that another girl had called her a silly gaspsob little gaspsob girl!

Oh.

Whilst this didn’t sound like the end of the world to me, I could also see to S, it was. And having a three year old cling to me (she does it better than a koala, suing her legs to grasp just as tight as her arms!), and begging me not to make her go back, really turns me to jelly. But the longer she delayed going back, the harder it would be.

By the time we got to nursery we were late, and I promised S that she wouldn’t have to stay today if she really didn’t want to – though I was thinking all the excitement would draw her in. But I was wrong. She wouldn’t even get out the car until I agreed to carry her (clinging to me).

Somewhat luckily the culprit wasn’t there today and so that did help me get S to stand on her own two feet, but she then moved her clinging to my legs and I had to stand explaining what the problem was to the Aunties as I tried not to topple over. And S wouldn’t agree to stay, unless I stayed.

Forty-five minutes later I managed a bargain with her – let mommy go do the shopping, and I’d be back to collect her right after. Which is what I did. So I got a whole hour to myself today!

She’s alright now, and knows that come Monday everything must go back to normal, and she can’t stop going to nursery as she has to get ready for school in September. And reminding her that the other little girl won’t be at her big school helped. That and J, the Aunties, and I all telling her she isn’t a silly little girl and that the other girl shouldn't have said such a thing.

The odd thing is, I’m sure J or the boys must have said worse things to her over the years, but this incident really seems to have upset her.

Which is almost a worry in itself, as it’s hardly the worst thing she’s ever likely to have said to her! But at the same time, I find the whole thing kind of sweet, though I could do without the clinging.



Oh and I just heard on the radio that today is Kissing Friday (the Friday after Shrove Tuesday), apparently*, boys may kiss any girl they like and cannot be refused. Have fun boys!!



* Anything which starts with ‘apparently’ should be taken with a pinch of salt ;o)

12 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

LOVE the jedi knight costume, lol. My twins would have adored it. They were NInja turtles for the longest time. Sebi wanted to change his name to Michealangelo, and wouldn't answer to anything else for a while (try explaining that to a nursery school teacher, lol)
YOu did just right by your daughter - it IS a big thing to little ones when someone calls them names - words and deeds are inextricably linked at that age, it's hard to separate them thus the horror a child feels when his mother or father calls them a dummy or some such insult. (I hate hearing parents insult their small children - to the adult words are nothing, but to a child they are incredibly powerful)
((((Hugs)))))
Sam

Friday, March 03, 2006 1:45:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

X

Friday, March 03, 2006 2:27:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

You are the Master and a great Mom!

Friday, March 03, 2006 2:42:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I want a Jedi costume! Wah!

I have to go kiss some boys now. I think I like that holiday!

Friday, March 03, 2006 6:42:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Great job on the uniform, Debi. The lad owes you big-time!

Friday, March 03, 2006 10:07:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

That is the most amazing Jedi costume I've ever seen. Great job!

I think dave has a crush on you!

Friday, March 03, 2006 11:46:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be the start of a new clothing line. Wedding Jedi. Daisy's Lil Miss can adorn the girls Jedi costumes with Swarovski crystals, courtesy of Daisy's supply.

Friday, March 03, 2006 11:51:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Well done on your sewing projects! I wish I had half your talent--so do my kids, I suspect.
Kristy
Fire in the Kitchen

Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:27:00 am  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

A wonderful costume. No wonder he's so happy withit! You should be proud.

Little Red Riding Hood looks awesome, too!

Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:51:00 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

The costume turned out great!

Children are so sensitive to name calling, but I'm glad she managed to be there for a little while so you could have some YOU time, even if it was 30 minutes.

Have a wonderful weekend :-D

Saturday, March 04, 2006 6:03:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I'll bet your hubs would love calling you Master, too ;)

Boy oh boy, are your kids goodlooking.

Kissing Day: in the States, not only would that NOT fly, but kids can get suspended for sexual harrassment by doing stuff like that. I'm fortunate I grew up in the 60s, because I used to steal kisses in kindergarten, and worse.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:11:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I know you're still alive, because you comment on my blog, but I do miss having nothing new to read about your life.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:47:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home