Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A new day

What a long week it has been! Or rather it’s been a quick week, but so much has happened, last week feels like a distant memory.

Ryker is still going and cheered me immensely this morning on the beach, by bouncing around like the puppy he was just a short while ago. And we saw the vet this afternoon…and he agrees Ryker is looking better!

Well actually, I suppose if I’m honest, he didn’t use the word ‘better’ but he was impressed that Ryker’s weight loss has slowed and he commented how happy Ryker appears. And the best bit was, when he handed over more boxes of pills – he gave us two boxes! That’s four weeks worth! I’m taking it as a positive sign.

Though I did think the vet was worried I didn’t understand what is happening to Ryker. He stopped his smiles and made of point of saying Ryker will never be healthy again, and that toxins will continue to build in Ryker’s blood. But I know that, and I think I’ve accepted what’s going to happen – but I don’t see why I shouldn’t take some joy that things appear to be slowing! My biggest fear now is that lack of food will take him before the kidneys. But the vet and I had a long chat about what foods he can eat and I’m planning on working through them till we find something Ryker likes again.

On the job front, I’ve also sorted out my head in the past few days, and have decided I’m thrilled about it (I don’t normally get so detached from reality for so long, but I guess that’s what happens when life hurls an unexpected brick at me ;o)). I’ll be doing the accounts for a property developer. But (don’t you love the buts?!) he hasn’t mentioned things to his present lady yet, so although it’s been said it’s all definite, I’m not holding my breath until everyone knows what’s happening.

The reasons why I wasn’t thrilled at first are many, and complicated! Here’s a few in no particular order of importance:
his wife is a good friend of mine, and I was worried it was a favour (and though I’ve since decided it probably IS a favour, I’ve realised it’s because his wife has so much faith I can do the job)
I can’t stand the accounts system the present woman uses but as it was new in only January I don’t feel able to ask him to spend more money on my software of choice (have since decided I am changing the accounts system (and he said he didn’t mind how I did it) as I’ll be happier and more confident! Even if I have to pay for it myself.)
And as I mentioned confidence…I think that’s the biggest hurdle of all! Though I’ve had several jobs from home in the last dozen years, they were either for people I had worked for previously, or voluntary.

The fear of something new was almost paralysing, and hasn’t totally passed, but as it lessens enthusiasm takes it place and I’m almost looking forward to starting! In fact if this trend continues, by the time I do start, I’ll be keen as mustard!

And apart from those two things, I’m trying to think what else has happened this week – which kind of goes to show where my head has been! And with that in mind, I shall also take this opportunity to promise this will be the last mention of Ryker, until things change. Apologies if I’ve waffled on about it, but the upside is I feel a lot more prepared at the thought of what’s coming. Thank you.

Anyways, I don’t think anything much else happened. Except I discovered I'm a terrible mother! I'd noted down that J had a ballet rehearsal, then heard they wanted S as well. So I dropped them off, met up with two other mothers whose little darlings were also rehearsing, and we went off to the pub for the hour (I swear if there had been a café nereby...). It was over a week later I discovered S and her group were requested for only fifteen minutes. Apparently at the time, the chaperone was panic-struck (and probably horrified!) that one Little Mermaid’s mother hadn’t shown up to collect her child. (And in case you’re wondering, S is going to be a Little Mermaid ;o))

Oh well, having the memory of being forgotten twice, hasn't done me much harm.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Hurrah! Hurrah! and Hurrah!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:07:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

The new job sounds wonderful! And so what if it's a favor, you'll be the one doing them a favor by doing a good job.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:00:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Oh, glad to see that you're feeling better about things! Yes, the job sounds like it has possibilities. And I bet your mermaid has forgiven you (their notorious for thier short memories, you know).
Kristy

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:46:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Glad to see your outlook has changed. I knew it would. Time makes everything seem right in one's world.

Did you sew a costume for your daughter's ballet? I'd like to see what they are wearing; probably pretty cute, eh?!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:23:00 am  
Blogger rdl said...

Glad to hear you souding stronger. Wish the pub was near me. :D

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:42:00 am  
Blogger Monique said...

Wow, I've been totally out of the loop... had no idea you were searching for a new job. That's what I get for disappearing from the blogosphere for a few weeks. Congratulations and good luck!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:10:00 am  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Sounds very stressful, between the new job, and Ryker (that name always makes me grin -- you know why), and the usual responsibilities of wife and mother. But you'll get through it, I know you will.

By the way -- the only time I've ever 'hurried along' pets was when they were in pain. If Ryker is still capable of enjoying your company, and you his, it would be wrong IMO to speed things along. Here's hoping for many more good days.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:32:00 am  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Worse is when I was 16 and had the car and FORGOT to pick up Mom from the bakery. (I didn't do it again.)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home