Friday, March 17, 2006

Twenty four little hours

When the BH arrived home from work yesterday, he found me crying at the sink. At that moment it was because I couldn’t get the damn pots to fit on the drainer without the entire collection collapsing.

I don’t usually cry over the washing up (as let's face it, if I did, I'd never stop!), and as I tried to explain to him, it wasn’t really down to the drainer. My fight with the drainer just happened to be the final straw.

Within one hour yesterday afternoon, I got three pieces of bad news I wasn’t expecting. None of them alone are dramatic or overly horrendous, but it was a horrid hour on my busiest day of the week, and it broke me.

Of course I stopped crying when I saw blood flowing from the BH’s head, but that’s a whole other story, and he wouldn’t thank me for sharing!

One thing that stopped me in my tracks yesterday was the mother I’m avoiding for a get together. I feel bad, as I think I’ve misjudged her. Yet again she suggested tea, and I felt almost joyous being able to say I couldn’t make it (as I have a real commitment that day) but she persisted, and I found myself at a loss to know how to keep putting her off. So I agreed. Then she started talking about her son, and something that had happened which had really upset her. I was shocked, not at what the lad had done (I’ve got two, and I wasn’t hearing anything I haven’t heard before!), but at her reaction. She’s usually so composed and there she was falling apart in front of me. But she saw my surprise, and immediately clammed-up. And so now I feel awful, as I don’t think she would have shared if she didn’t consider me a friend. I’m left feeling obliged to make a bigger effort with her, but have yet to decide if this is a good thing, or bad.

And last night was a busy one, or at least felt like it!

At around midnight, if you could be a fly on our walls, you would have seen me on all fours patting the carpet and moving toys, in search of the lost pee. This was after J came into our bedroom and stood in the doorway looking confused, and blinking at the light. We asked what the matter was, and suggested she go to the toilet. When she said she’d already been, the BH and I exchanged smiles with the ridiculous notion that maybe she is starting to get over her bed-wetting. Unfortunately she then informed us, she couldn’t remember where she’d peed. She was adamant that she hadn’t been into the bathroom, so I checked her bed but that was dry. Then checked everywhere and everything that could possibly be mistaken for a toilet, when in dim light and half asleep. But all to no avail, still haven’t found it. Bet I will.

Then at five this morning, I awoke to a barrage of kicks to my stomach. Oh the joys of small children! Why can’t they sleep straight in a bed?! This time the culprit was S, who apparently woke the BH at four to say she’d wet her bed. Except it was dry, so I should probably be on the look out for two pee patches! And then, against what would have been my judgement, the BH let her come into bed with us.

At the time (5am) I decided to get up and wash the kitchen floor, but I must have closed my eyes, because the next minute the alarm was going and I was struggling to remember what day it was.

I had a moment’s joy! It’s Friday! TF! And it gets better, as my friend and her boys cancelled coming around after school – not usually a cause for celebration as I do like her company, but on this occasion I’m seeing it as a blessing as my house is a tip! And what am I doing about it? Sitting here telling you ;o)

Having said that, today I’m determined to get a grip on things with the bigger picture in view. I’ve cleaned out some bedroom drawers so we can move the linen in there, thus freeing up some cupboard space in the hall for more kitchen stuff, that way my kitchen will be tidier, and I can think about doing some practice cakes! Also spoke with the mom who I’m doing a Christening cake for, and we’re getting together next week to discuss details.

And a friend said I made them smile this morning. Glad they didn’t say laugh, as I might have taken it that I’m a joke. But they said smile, and I like that, made me smile too :o)

7 Comments:

Blogger Page Turner said...

You certainly had a rough day today. Remember, things can only get better, but not until the mystery pee is found. I find it bad enough if a dog pees on the floor, but children...I think I would completely loose my cool over that.

I hope your weekend starts and ends wonderfully! I had nothing to post yesterday, but hoping something comes to me today.

Friday, March 17, 2006 2:31:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

Oh my, sounds like you need to get more sleep/go to bed earlier with that crew you have. I'm glad you fell back to sleep and didn't do that floor. As for that mother, I don't know I'm pretty black & white, either I like you or I don't; but then you sound much nicer than me. :D Have a great St. Pat's Day - maybe have some green beer stead of tea . :D

Friday, March 17, 2006 3:16:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Or green tea.

I was feeling a bit like that last week - wanting to scream/cry every time the 'phone rang, as I felt I couldn't face another problem. Having had a week off ill has helped to calm my nerves a little bit (except the 'phone still rings, and someone came to the door last night just as I was sitting down to my dinner. So I ignored them [there was no way they could tell I was at home]. They rang the bell for a good ten minutes before they gave up and went away).

Take a holiday.

Friday, March 17, 2006 5:07:00 pm  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

My nephew spent the night one time, and I heard him get up and walk into the kitchen. I walked in to see what he was up to, and he was just standing there peeing on the kitchen floor. I yelled at him and said, "what are you doing???" he turned around, looked at me and walked right past me back to sleep on the living room floor (where he and my son had camped out) I realized he wasn't even awake, or aware of what he'd done! I wonder if that was the number of steps or turns he'd have made to his own toilet if he'd been home? hmmm.

Friday, March 17, 2006 11:38:00 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

There are some people that you may never quite understand. Its taken me 25 years to finally halfway figure out my MIL. She still does and says things that irritate me, but I no longer let it get to me. Shes my hubbys mom, I had no choice but to make myself go for tea with her. Im glad I did.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 5:51:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

Have a nice cuppa tea with 2 sugars and put your feet up!
Time flies, and soon you'll be looking back at the times your little ones woke you up at 4am with fondness - I promise!
She probably dreamed she peed. Or peed in the potty with her jammy bottoms on. (mine did both, lol)
And about that woman - you can take your time deciding about her - there is nothing in Miss Manner's books that say you have to be intimate best friends with someone right away! I like getting to know people slowly.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:39:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Did you ever find the pee? I wouldn't even look, just walk around barefoot till I found it "naturally".
This post gave me a vision of you trying to add to a towering stack of glassware in a kitchen strainer, like a house of cards.
I think it's cute that she peed and can't remember where. And came to tell you about it!
I'd like to be a fly on your wall for a day!
I hope you have a great weekend, with good quiet children.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 12:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home