Thursday, March 30, 2006

Mixed bag

Today I did something I never do, took a bath at lunchtime! What made it even more shocking was, I was extremely short of time. And when I say shocking, it probably isn’t to a lot of people, but it felt totally out of place for me and I did spend the entire morning debating whether I would dare (sad, but true ;o)).

Unfortunately not an act of sheer indulgence, but because I’m ill. It’s my chest. Had the sniffles for days, and on Monday it moved to my chest. Woke up at five this morning barely able to breath, and when I was doing the shopping (several hours later) I realised I was getting a fever. But I didn’t have time for that! So I dosed myself up, took a bath and faced the remainder of the afternoon at least feeling warm.

Thursdays aren’t supposed to be this busy, but with the end of term coming things are hotting up as usual.

The nursery had their Easter Service first thing (normally late morning, and I think they’ll revert back, as saying goodbye to your mommy twice before eleven makes lots of little darlings cry!), but the Church is out of action for a refit. Parents had to form sardine lines along the back wall of the nursery, which was fun, in a pluck your eyeballs out sort of way.

Can you believe I had a perfect view of every child there, except MY child?! They put S behind this girl with a huge hat, and every bloody photo I took gave S a flower beard. And then the woman in front of me was wearing a furry coat (weather’s still crap!), so half the photos included a bear about to pounce.

Luckily the man next to me made my day as he realised the problem and offered to swap places. I adore people who are so thoughtful! And thanks to him, here’s a picture of my littlest darling (and the hat closest, the beard) :

Oh and talking of littlest darlings, I heard a rumour today. About me.

Apparently, some of the mothers in P’s class think I’m expecting another. I only found out because I was commenting to a mother that a woman I know is up to her sixth child, and she obviously took the conversation as an opening, as she commented that one of my friends had told her I was expecting my fifth. WTF? News to me!

I started laughing as I shook my head. But stopped somewhat suddenly, and looked down at myself wondering if I look pregnant. She must have read my mind because she quickly told me the root of the rumour.

P.

He told his classmates I’m pregnant! And of course, they told their mothers. And mothers talk. Geeze-louise, am I supposed to ignore it? Hope the mother I put right, puts others right? Call everyone to forestall further rumours? Because you have to wonder! Some of those mothers know it would be a medical miracle if I got pregnant, by my husband. But none of them have called me (I suppose because one of the mother's already provided that particualr gossip novelty.)

(I’ve just asked P when he said it, and he says today. Hurrah! Let’s hope so, but the boy can’t even tell the time and is pretty crappy at working out when things happened, so I’m not totally convinced!)

Earlier I asked him why he said it, have to say I was a tad surprised when he said it’s what he wants to happen! Goes to show I needn't worry so much whether the kids will love or hate me for having so many, at least one enjoys the numbers!

And in case you’re wondering why P isn’t in my bad books tonight, he can’t be, he’s done so well at school.

We had a parent teacher meeting this evening. Funny things those meeting. The first of each child we approach with caution, unsure what we’ll hear. From then on, the course is oft set, as is the love or hate of them.

I can’t say P’s first was a huge shock, as the school had already threatened report cards for his behaviour. But a year or so ago, a sliver of light appeared in the form of his love of reading. If nothing else the boys loves his books!

But tonight, tonight was unbelievable, I’m so proud of him! He’s had a personality transplant! I might have often thought he was a good lad at heart, but it hasn’t been easy persuading others of it ;o)

Apart from always trying his hardest, managing to control his urges for chatter, and working well in a team, what his teacher most likes is his sensitivity and helpfulness (Hahahahahahahhahaha! sorry, still in shock). She also pointed out that in the last couple of months, he’s also stopped having so many sick days. (If I’m honest, I’ll admit that I hadn’t noticed until she mentioned it, but I think she’s right!) Certain areas of his studies still require attention, but he really seems to have cracked his moods and outbursts, and even travelled beyond.


And as coincidence would have it, he also completed his star chart today, and his teacher awarded him a rubber. He’s very pleased with it. As well he should be :o)

7 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

Very funny post - enjoyed it immensely. Reminded me of when my son was in 2nd grade and i went into the teacher conference expecting to hear wonderful things and she pulled out a file folder that amounted to a rap sheet.Evidently he had managed to smuggle a note from her on his behavior in & out of the house without me seeing it and told her I said I was late for work and couldn't sign it. :D That's my boy. sorry i've gone on so, haven't got out much lately. Hope your cold is better.

Friday, March 31, 2006 12:12:00 am  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Sorry about your cold. A warm bath always warms me up.

Funny how someone would rumour you to be pregnant given my current situation.

Enjoyed the pictures...is Easter earlier there than here?

Friday, March 31, 2006 1:35:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Commiserations on the illness. My chest is still a little tight from the chest infection I had a few weeks ago. You look after yourself - especially now you're pregnant.

Friday, March 31, 2006 7:24:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

I hope you feel better!
My daughter told everyone in her class I was going to have a new baby one year - I think she was in kindergarten and desperately wanted a baby sister.
People were congratulating me. I had no idea why.
Yuor daughter looks so sweet with that darling, purple hat!!!

Friday, March 31, 2006 5:04:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Well, if you can have more like that, why not?

(Oh...you mean...the husband?...right....)

Saturday, April 01, 2006 1:36:00 am  
Blogger Monique said...

The picture is adorable, and LOL about your "pregnancy!" Kids will say the darndest things. :)

Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:46:00 am  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

What a DARLING child--and I simply LOVE the hat.

Glad to know you found out the source of your rumor so readily. But let me ask you this: Which would you find more horrifying--to be thought pregnant when you were merely fat or to be thought fat when you were instead actually pregnant? I've been in both situations and can't remember which inspired the deeper depression. Thankfully, those days seem to be in the past finally...
Kristy

Saturday, April 01, 2006 7:56:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home