Saturday, May 06, 2006

What's in a name?

I have a friend, who when she meets people*, decides upon which movie, television or pop star they look most like.

At first I thought it fun, and she’s good with her choices. But since I began working, I’ve decided it’s dangerous.

You see, I work for Tom Selleck. And as his real name is very similar to Tom, I have a lot of trouble remembering that it isn’t really Tom! So far I’ve managed not to stumble, but each time I go to say his name, I hesitate with the confusion.

And today I got another job, though thankfully not with one of the dad’s from school and therefore not assigned a movie star look-a-like name. But I've known this chap for the better part of twenty years and he already comes with his own nick-name.

But not one I’d want to repeat to his face. It’s Andy, as in Handy Andy, which probably doesn’t sound so bad, unless you know the context. Though, as I’m writing I’m thinking there are lots of men who’d love to be called Handy Andy in the context of how** this Andy got his nick-name! But still, I’ll have to be careful if and when I meet his wife.

So I got another job.

(Four kids, three jobs, a husband and a dog***. I think it sounds a fun list, almost a nursery rhyme. But I do think it would sound cuter if there could be a two in it, and seeing as two husbands isn’t something to shout about, I’ll give it a couple of years and make it two dogs (and then, as the husband will have shifted to the last mentioned, I’ll turn it around and begin the list with him ;o)))

But back to the newest new job. Another nice number, and this boss should be easier to work for than the other. And it’s from home and shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours a week once things are set up. Though setting up may take a while****, as it’s everything since 2004!

And I’m also thinking that once we accumulate some money (if we ever do!) my two boss’s***** will be useful to know, as one’s a property developer with his own team of builders and the other’s a mechanic who runs a garage.

Yep, I’m feeling very clever as these are both necessary evils in life, where it’s usually impossible to know if you’re paying over the odds! Umm, I wonder if I can find a gardener******, a doctor and a dentist in need of a book-keeper…

* mostly men!

** through no personal experience I hasten to add. What can I say? Girls talk!

*** he's nearly here!!

**** Still, I’m not complaining as children and dogs cost money and it’ll be nice to have some. Darn shame about the time though, I don’t have enough of that as it is.

***** My third employer is a block of flats, so doesn't count.

****** Yes, I know gardeners aren't necessary, but I can dream ;o)

7 Comments:

Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Congrats on the new job. You sound like a busy little bee over there. Don't buzz right out of here for all that work you're doing now! :) Sounds like things are looking up for you and that makes me smile.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 4:20:00 am  
Blogger rdl said...

Do you have the new boy (dog) then??? like yr. idea of the barter system. hope you're not over working yrself.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 5:34:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

You sound very busy and very happy.
And I enjoyed reading this post!
:-)

Sunday, May 07, 2006 12:53:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Now I KNOW I couldn't do all that you're doing. What's with the block of flats?

Sunday, May 07, 2006 2:26:00 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

Oh, my dream is having a gardener, lol. I see my neighbors' gardeners drive up in their trucks, and then peek in when the trucks leave - and everything is so Spiffy! Well, it's a nice dream. LOL

Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:24:00 pm  
Blogger Huw said...

You have taken asterixed footnotes to a whole new level.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:19:00 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

Congrats on your new job! I hope you'll love it. I had to laugh at all the *'s! I could deal with working for Tom though ;-) LOL

Monday, May 08, 2006 12:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home