Thursday, May 04, 2006

Stressed, or just turning into my mother?

I really should get around to finishing our bedroom curtains. And gagging the geese who live down the road might help too. Or maybe I should just take a sleep aid, like I did Sunday night; but then, on Monday morning, it took me hours to feel awake. Though I mustn’t complain as since Sunday night, when I’ve been asleep, I do seem to have been properly asleep. I’m just not sleeping as long as most consider necessary. But there’s also an upside to that, my house is clean for the first time in weeks!

I’m also rather enjoying the tidiness that lasts longer than normal (with the kids asleep!), and the quiet. I do like the quiet.

Plus I kind of figure the puppy-with-no-name will be pleased with my early starts, when he arrives next week. And it’ll be nice to wake up to a happy face and wagging tail! And the rest. Mustn’t lull myself into thinking it’s all going to be roses, after all, a night is a long time for a pup and chances are I’ll have a tad more cleaning to catch up on. But I am SO excited, and it’s SO good to have something to look forward to!

Not looking forward to today. It’s Thursday, and Thursday’s are long and tedious. I’ve had to cancel my shopping trip into town (where I should be buying my mother’s birthday pressie, as it’s also her birthday next Tuesday (as well as puppy day)) as my boss heaped a pile of work upon me on Tuesday. He said it wasn’t urgent, that I had a week to complete, but when you can only work three hours a day, and there’s two bank holidays in two weeks, and as I’ve decided I’m not working Wednesdays, a week isn’t such a long time. So off to work I go.

And I may have another job. Going to see the chap on Saturday. Not too bothered whether it happens or not, except I would like the money, but I’ve already told him I have no hours left in my days, and I’d have to work from home after 9pm. So this time next week I may have three jobs, and a puppy!

Did you know one in twenty adults has a compulsive disorder? I mention it as I heard it on the radio yesterday and I’ve been thinking about it. In fact, I don’t think people were very honest when asked, as I reckon you’re more likely to find it’s one in twenty adults who don’t have a compulsive disorder.

On the face of it, I’d say I don’t have any strange hang-ups (read disorders!), certainly none as odd as tin turning or colour coding my husband's shirts (I’m using these examples as they’re favourites with my friends!), but as I finished sweeping the kitchen floor this morning, it struck me as odd that I won’t allow myself to sit down until things are tidy. Least not unless, I’m really tired. Do you suppose that’s a disorder? Or that I’m becoming my mother, who used to swear the only time to get anything done was before the household woke up.

Don’t suppose it matters either way, just so long as it all gets done.

I also might get to see the head of year at my eldest’s school today. He called me back yesterday to ask why I wanted a meeting, said maybe we could just talk on the phone. Poor man didn’t say a lot when I listed my grievances. I almost felt bad, until I asked him not to inform my son I’d called. Then he admitted my son already knew, as before calling me back he’d gone and found R to ask why his mother was calling! Don’t you just the professionalism?! It’s not about the maths by the way. I wrote a letter about that, taking responsibility, and haven’t heard anything so am assuming that teacher didn’t have a problem. It’s about everything apart from the studies. I’m dreading it. I hate confrontation, and though I’m not expecting a row with this man, I already know he’s likely to be defensive.

What a horrid Thursday. It IS Thursday isn’t it? Hope so! Wish me luck, and I hope yours is more relaxing!

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Thursday. It's just a day, you know.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:43:00 am  
Blogger Karen said...

Mine is going to be nuts with working then an accounting final but I think you've got me beat. Good luck!!! I hope your day turns out better than you thought.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:06:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

Today is a day off for me, but that only means catching up on my running around and attempting to tidy up. May get a bit of time in the hot tub before going to the doctor.

Try and relax at some point today...you're doing way too much! (Now it's my turn to tell you to SLOW down.)

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:56:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

Wow Jona, we seem to be on the same wavelength lately. I say tell it just like it is with the guy whether he likes it or not - casue basically he's working for you. As for the disorder think, i think you're right, prob. more have it then admit. I knew a woman who's house was spotless and she had a bit of OCD along with bi-polar. I'm envious that your house is clean tho, mine isn't cause i just run around like a chicken and i'm lucky if a couple of things get done. Can't wait to see the pic. of the sweet new guy. Are you going to crate train? everyone swears by it; i tried with our current dog but he was like houdini - he had separation anxiety, so unfortunately it didn't work. And i think tim is so right we both need to learn to relax. I've always wanted to take yoga - if only i had the time.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:41:00 pm  
Blogger Josh said...

you're just becoming more obessive-compulsive as you age. ;)

Friday, May 05, 2006 2:51:00 am  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

You know what we call Thursday at Chez Daisy? S.H.I.T. day. (Sure Happy Its Thursday) And the reason we're happy it's Thursday? Because it's one day closer to the weekend. Whoo hoo!

Actually obessive-compulsive has become quite a trendy thing and if people don't have it they pretend they do.

And sorry but I wish I had your drive to tidy up before I sat down. Or at least someone to clean up this mess of a house for me. Ha ha.

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:23:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

I'm thrilled to hear about your puppy arriving!!
Expecting lots of pictures and cute stories!
LOL

Friday, May 05, 2006 7:32:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I'm looking forward to the puppy pix too! Have a great weekend.

Saturday, May 06, 2006 2:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home