Monday, January 09, 2006

Trying new things…

Is it Monday already? Oh how I wish it wasn’t!

Though if I cared about TV I might be excited, as today’s the day we’re getting satellite. Earlier than expected but they called and said they had a ‘slot’ free between eleven and two. What does that mean between eleven and two? Does it mean they’ll arrive at eleven and be finished by two, or that they may show up between those times (if I’m lucky)?

I took to mean they’d be finished by two and arranged nursery pick-up for S, so I’d be home for them. But by half twelve no-one had arrived and I was beginning to panic with the thought they’d show at two and I’d be leaving them in the house when I went on the school run.

Am I the only person not to like strange men alone in my house? In my younger days, I’d worry that they might walk around and help themselves to the camera or something, now I’ve got insurance and instead worry about strange habits. When I mentioned my fears to the BH (feeling silly) he immediately remembered we have to call a plumber. Reminding me of strange plumbers does nothing for my nerves, and now I can pin-point exactly why I’m freaky about strangers in my house – except I used to demand the BH was home when our plumber was due around – not enough that I was home, that man scared the living daylights out of me. In fact we should be calling him to fix one of his problems, but I’d rather pay someone else more, just to make sure I don’t have to see him again!

But back to the satellite man. I called the number they gave me and spoke with the boss, explaining that I only had two hours before I had to go out again. He started by daring to say they may have to give me another ‘slot’, but I cut him short and said I’d already cancelled my morning and had people running around on school runs for me. I think he could tell he was going to get a row if he suggested their time was more important than mine.

And sure enough the man is now here! He’s on the roof right now. I can see him leaning over the gutter as I type. Bet he’s pleased we’ve got an ugly flat roof he’s unlikely to fall off!

I can’t wait to see the kids faces. They don’t know, and even though I’m a miserable moo who doesn’t like TV too much – I know they’re going to be ecstatic!

Plus I’ve been baking. How perfect is that, from a child’s perspective? Home-made cookies and never-ending TV!

And the cookies are YUM! I followed Daisy Mae’s recipe, or at least I nearly followed it. Wasn’t sure whether the peanut butter should be crunchy or smooth, but went with crunchy ‘coz that’s the one I like best. But I also had to guess how much as I couldn’t find a conversion for how much half a cup of PB was! They don’t look quite like Daisy’s, or the picture she sent me – but who cares?? They taste wonderful anyway! Luckily I took this picture before S got home, as there’re a few less now. And I discovered I like them warm after a couple crumbled off the cooling rack and required immediate eating ;o)


2 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Mae said...

The cookies look awesome and I am sure they taste yummy! I use smooth peanut butter but really you can use whatever kind you like best.

You are lucky you got them to narrow the time slot down so well. Here the Tv cable people tell you sometime between 8am and 5pm. So your entire day is shot waiting for the cable guy. If you leave for 5 minutes that is the exact time they show up.

Monday, January 09, 2006 2:25:00 pm  
Blogger poopie said...

Ummm...makin' me drool!

Monday, January 09, 2006 6:38:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home