Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Narky!

I keep writing posts and deleting them. It’s because my mood keeps changing, up down all-around, don’t know what I am. But I’m typing madly because I’m giggling at the moment.

Just listened to a message from my father – actually I’m impressed it’s taken him three days to pick up the phone and ask how to operate his new photo-printer (except maybe that means he hasn’t even played with it before today!). He wants to know if he can link it to the computer and print some pictures he’s been mailed.

My guess would be yes, based upon it being a fancy-ridiculously-expensive-printer, and I remember seeing a disc. Not being a techie myself I would imagine you have to install the software so the computer recognises the photo-printer, choose the correct printer for printing and way-hay, off you go!

But I don’t have the manual, he does. Think I’ll suggest he reads it to me, then I’ll tell him what to do ;o)

And whilst I’m here, I’ll explain a little of my mood. Things are irritating me at the moment, but I don’t feel like I can let loose and really moan. Take the sky.

Grey and miserable, and it’s been like this for ages! Views like this bring me down, and you can’t guarantee any prettiness till May, and I’d like to gripe about that! But then this morning I woke just before dawn, and because I still haven’t got around to making the bedroom curtains, the first thing I saw was the moon. Perfectly placed, perfectly beautiful. I’m not sure how awake I was, but I’m sure it was almost pink. And so bright. We’d also had a smattering of snow and the fir tree just outside the window, looked delicate and added to the exquisiteness. I thought of getting up and taking a picture. But I fell back to sleep and woke an hour later with that icky tired feeling and the grey sky and a patchy lawn.

And TV! That’s causing me general narkiness too. What a load of rubbish we’ve had this Christmas! It’s a bloody conspiracy to make everyone sign up for satellite or digital, or whatever they’ve come up with now. I mean how many times can they show programs like Fools and Horses, and Porridge, and they even showed Steptoe and Son again this year! That was first out, before I was even born! But I’m not going to have to put up with it for much longer. The BH was given a years Sky subscription by my parents for Christmas.

Bet you imagine I’m thrilled… well I’m not!

I don’t begrudge the BH getting to watch sport again, but I have visions of the kids flicking through hundreds of channels and bad chat shows playing all day. Not to mention those shopping channels. Even the thought depresses me. I did suggest not tuning in anything but news and sport, but you can guess how that went down. I expected the children to groan, but the BH shouldn’t have been giving me funny looks! The worst part is I’m partly to blame. My father listened as I bitched about terrestrial TV before Christmas, and he passed the Sky TV idea past me before he went ahead. But what was I supposed to say? Yes I want better TV, but on the BBC please? It seems it can’t be done anymore. And everyone else in the house has wanted it for years and it felt too mean to say no, so I didn’t.

The BH has tried to enthuse me by pointing out that there’s a history and sci-fic channels, HA! Like I’ll get the chance to watch anything? With that many channels you can bet there’ll be too many sports or kids TV shows for me to get a look in, especially as I have no one onside with me.

Which reminds me, where are the Royal Institute Christmas Lectures? I look forward to them each winter between Christmas and New Year! But I can’t see them in the listings at all, totally bummed, they probably went to Sky. Which of course we won’t have for several more weeks. Thank goodness. But then again, they might repeat the lectures…

So as you can see, I’m in a mixed mood and I don’t want to be! There’s a week of holiday left and I want to be relaxed, and I am – after all, if I was doing the school runs as well, I’d probably be wanting to skin irritating children and people who can’t reverse. Bloody hell... you see?? I’ve done it again!!!

Damn can you tell I’m pre-menstrual? DON’T ANSWER THAT!

8 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Narki and Narkiness are going to be my new words for the week. I had never heard those words before.

Sports? That's a dirty word as far as I am concerned in my house. I like to watch basketball in person or a good baseball game in person but forget sports on TV. And the yelling Greg does at the TV during a sports game. It's torture!

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:19:00 pm  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

When I kicked my husband out he took one of our two TVs with him. The second is in a closet unplugged. I think so what? And he's thrilled with CABLE that he has in his new apartment. I never would get cable much less satellite. So many more channels with still nothing I want to see? Sure I guess there are SOME things, but like you, I wonder, when would I ever get a turn?

Thursday, December 29, 2005 2:26:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Well, it's just nice to see you posting again. Welcome back.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:01:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

Narky? Does that mean you're feeling like a person of the law concerned with drug violations?

Until a few years ago, we had an aerial that drew in about 4 channels. I was perfectly happy, but someones wanted more cartoons and more sports. They were different someones. I lost - a clear example of how democracy DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK, and now we have a satellite dish.

The sky here is an ugly grey too. I Can't remember the last time I saw the sun.

Damn - now I'm feeling like a person of the law concerned with narcotics violations.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:53:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Daisy, it’s a handy word for me combining irritability and snappiness ;o)

Wombat, In households all over the world... And thank you! Glad the lectures are sill on air – but I’m missing the lot as we only go up to channel 4 :o(

Ivy, I think the kids would kill me if I hid the TV, and very VERY occasionally there is something I want to watch :o)

Thank you Dave :o)

mm, ahhh more joys in our differences - makes you realise crosswords puzzles aren't international *g*

Thursday, December 29, 2005 5:53:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

My brother called. Not one word about how my wife was doing. No, he pumped me for info on how he should treat his acid reflux problems. Whenever he calls, it's always about him, him, him, when we know the only interesting thing on this planet is me, me, me.

Friday, December 30, 2005 1:46:00 am  
Blogger Monique said...

Enjoy your last few days of holiday, and Happy New Year!

Friday, December 30, 2005 7:01:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

Doug - tell him to drink 8 oz of wheatgrass juice each day. I doubt it would work (since I made it up) but it's expensive and not very tasty and he should have asked about T-Lady.

Friday, December 30, 2005 11:26:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home