Friday, December 23, 2005

Cookie, anyone?

Apologies for not coming back yesterday, I was too busy… baking! At last! And as I’ve finally got everything out the cupboards (including an unopened box of 100 cookie cutters I bought seven years ago and forgot about!) I’ve baked more today! But I’m quite surprised we’ve only ended up with six different types as the time and mess add up to a whole lot more.


To stuff ourselves on, we have: Almond and chocolate wheels, vanilla biscuits, chocolate whirls, chocolate pecan snowballs, truffles and soft Christmas biscuits. I was planning brownies too, but since eating the less shapely biccies all day, and now having had dinner, I’m thinking I should stop as there’s also a trifle and a black forest gateau to get eaten.


In truth I feel sick and am thinking I won’t eat at all tomorrow. Luckily the kids – who ate a mountain – don’t feel the same way. They drove me mad loved helping me, especially with the decorating.




The little darlings spent a lot of time following me about, reporting on the goings-on within the oven as they gazed through the glass door. But watching things cook isn’t as much fun as you may imagine, so I washed dishes and wiped the table between bouts of mixing, chilling, rolling, and cutting and telling them over and over, AND OVER, to stay away from the bloody-hospital-trip-I-don’t-need-oven door!


That’d be all the little darlings except S, who instead became fascinated with flour. Truly amazing stuff! It can make your face and clothes white, and designer handprints are particularly attractive when located strategically. When you blow it, it flies. When you push it around the table, you can make snowdrifts. Push it off the table, and it’s a waterfall. And when the stupid dog thinks it might be tasty and decides to help you clear up, it sets hard as bloody concrete and sticks to the carpet. Not to mention how handy it is in biscuits, when it can find the bowl.


At the end of a long afternoon the BH (who had thought to remove himself to a safe distance for the day) came to question my sanity. Reckons baking with the kids stresses me out. Well, NOT AT ALL! Rocking like this and mumbling incoherently with a glazed look in my eyes, relaxes me…

5 Comments:

Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

They look delicious! I'll take one of each, please. How cool that your kids get to participate in something like that. My kids only ever got store-bought cookies, or else the tube of pre-mixed cookie dough, which we rarely bothered to actually cook!

Friday, December 23, 2005 6:55:00 pm  
Blogger Huw said...

Oh dear me, those look so good.

So, remind me, when did you say you were sending them over?

Friday, December 23, 2005 7:38:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

In case this is your last post for a day or two, HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 9:31:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Coookies... I love cookies!
Jona, I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday and a happy new year!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 1:14:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Who ended up eating almost all of the rugelach? Me. That's why I don't bake more often.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 5:52:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home