Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Catching up!

At last the Christmas cards have gone! All except one (isn’t that always the way?!), because I’m an idiot who didn’t copy the new address into my black book. They sent me one of those ‘new home’ cards earlier in the year, and it sat in the back of my black book for months getting bashed about within my handbag. But then it vanished, and now it’s Christmas. What a crappy friend I am! But then, they could have put their new address on the back of their card to help out dipsticks like me. I suppose I could call, but they’re not really my friends, they’re the BH’s, so shouldn’t he do it? I’m making excuses. I suppose I could send an e-card…

Other news includes: sickness. Yes, the kids are ill AGAIN. S and P (so far), with a vomiting bug. It started this morning when S rushed into our bedroom and woke me, shouting she was going to throw-up.

Luckily the BH woke up and went to the rescue as I don’t do sick. I can’t do sick. It’s the sound, though the smell doesn’t help. Between the two it sets me off. Seriously. I start throwing-up along with whoever started the vomiting party. The BH saw it in motion when I was twenty-one, when I was trying to help my brother’s girlfriend. It must have been a sight to behold, as to this day he doesn’t argue or gripe* that it’s always him on sick duty. (*much)

And anyway, there was a silver lining, it got him out of the Christmas food shop! But I’m not allowed to comment on that, because S threw up all morning in various parts of the house, and the BH said I didn’t deserve a mince-pie because he had the worst morning – so if I take the mickey, I’ll never get a mince-pie!

But I wasn’t walking in the park this morning, either. I was facing the final Christmas present shop in town. Except I got desperate for the loo and gave up before hitting the last store, and so shall have to pop into town again later this week. You may be wondering why I didn’t use a public toilet. Or maybe you’re not as I know there are plenty of people who won’t, but I will, when desperate. But this morning I couldn’t. Too many bags you see. I had been counting them (to make sure I didn’t leave any in a shop when paying) but lost count after twelve, and instead concentrated on ignoring the pain in my hands.

I’d forgotten what it’s like to have your arms feel like they’re being tortured and your palms sliced open. And why do some retailers have bags with the handles in the wrong place? When the gift goes in, it lies the wrong way and bashes your leg at the same time. Well, maybe not if you’re holding just a couple of bags, but if you’ve got more bags than a tree has baubles, it gets bloody annoying. Especially when you need to pee but know you couldn’t get in a stall because of all the damn bags!

But I mustn’t bitch about the bags because I like not pushing a buggy and they were holding all the presents, and I did well too. Got myself some perfume – or rather I got the BH some perfume to give me – Be Delicious by DKNY, yummy smell. But I wish perfume didn’t cost so much! I wish I could have several so I could pick and choose what I wanted to smell like each day. Which reminds me, our lottery draw is today and I went overboard and bought a ticket. Been a few years since I’ve done that – and you only need one, right? Actually it’s kind of a shame the draw is today as I’ve been letting myself have warm fuzzy dreams about what I would spend the money on. Not that it’s a huge amount of money, but with a population of less than a hundred thousand, what do you expect? But it’d be enough to make me smile, and the day-dreams have been fun! It’s Daisy’s fault, as we get to hear about mind boggling amounts of money with the lottery she sometimes plays. But she hasn’t won yet either. And thinking of Daisy makes me think of cookies too, and I really want to bake some – so I should get out of here and make an effort!

10 Comments:

Blogger Daisy Mae said...

That reminds me, I need to buy a lottery ticket. With the holidays I had forgotten all about it. I hope all of the sickness is gone from your house by Christmas eve not to return!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:22:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Mince Pie: Take 3 lb of various meats (reject meats work best - pig's trotters, sheep's brains, cow's ears [burger ingredients to our American friends]).

Mince them well.

Mix with various spices to disguise the flavour.

Insert in small pastry cases and cook until golden brown.

Eat with large cup of tea, served in a bone chine cup, while sat by a blazing log fire.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:38:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Lol, Dave, you're wicked! And someone might believe you *g*

Don't listen to him MOH, mincemeat is made from fruits and spices, no meat at all! But Dave was telling the truth about the pastry cases, and tea by the fire :o)

And probably the burger ingredients too - but that's a seperate issue ;o)

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:52:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Actually, there was a hint of historical accuracy there - I believe many years ago mincemeat was made with real meat (hence the name) and spices were added to cover up the fact that the meat was probably off.

But the recipe was intended for any gullible American pals, you're right.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:44:00 pm  
Blogger Carlos said...

Just dropped in to check your little part of the internet and to say thanks for dropping in on mine.

Hope all recover from their illnesses soon. Oh, and good luck on the lottery! I gave up buying thos damned things a few years ago.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:11:00 pm  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

If you win, will you still blog? or just blog more? or you could pay someone to blog for you! hey, my friend's husband's brother has invented some sort of cool handle type thing for carrying a ton of grocery sacks with. saves from cutting your hands, and then if you have to set the whole mess of bags in a trunk or on the floor, they stay held together all by the nifty little handle!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:47:00 am  
Blogger kyknoord said...

I love the lottery. Any game where you stand virtually the same chance of winning by not playing at all has to be fun.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 10:51:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

He, he.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 2:02:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Reminds me of how it was always my shoulder that baby Jake spat up on. "Goddammit, baby, spit up on your mother for a change!" Three-month-olds. They never listen.

Let us know what kind of cookies you make.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:53:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

Oooh, I need to buy a lottery ticket too! Ours is up fairly high right now, and that's the only time I play.

Isn't it amazing how Christmas shopping can be physically dangerous?

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:24:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home