Saturday, January 07, 2006

My favourite time of the week…

What a super start to the weekend! Tennis and swimming don’t kick off for another week so the BH and I got a lie-in. It’s sheer bliss to start a day so slowly! Of course once we were up, the usual pace began.

And guess what little delight S had in store…this one’s a real gem! Having woken in the night, she decided she didn’t like using the toilet anymore, so improvised! I think she thought I’d be grateful she got out of bed, but peeing all over her ballet kit and rug (to the point of soaking the carpet), didn’t result in the delight she was expecting from me, what joy these children bring!

And dilemmas. You remember P plays rugby? And because of the wind and rain, it’s often under duress on his part (and mine too! Wind and snow predicted for tomorrow!!). One of the big reasons he’s willing to stick at it, is the away trips. At the end of the season (around March/April) the club organises games against other teams – except this is an island with one team, so…

He gets to go on an aeroplane. Last year it was just a day trip to our sister isle, and whilst I fretted over his travelling without us, as well as the cost, we managed it and he was thrilled! But this year they’ve upped the stakes.

They’ve sent an email explaining that there are going to be three overnight trips to the UK, and want notification if anyone can’t be considered for the teams.

On the face of it, there’s no guarantee he’ll be picked (in fact it would be unlikely if they based it solely on performance), but I spoke with an organiser and every boy is guaranteed to go away at least once, possibly twice.

But the sting is the cost. And our little rock is one of the most expensive places in the world to get on and off. What’s worse is an adult has to go with him too. There’s always the possibility I could ask another parent to be responsible for him, but even so, we can’t afford his airfare.

I’m not sure what to do. Cripple ourselves and get into debt over it? Tell them he can’t be picked, and have a broken-hearted son? Or, quit rugby so he doesn’t find out?

I hate this, because I can’t see an easy option. Or rather I can, but am reluctant to consider it. I don’t even want to tell you, but you can probably guess – go cap in hand to family.

But even if I did ask – I would then have to cope with him away overnight. That’s assuming I could find someone willing to chaperone him, but usually the favour is expected in return the following year – which would mean we were committed to next year’s thing (and I’ve long learnt we’re never better off!). But he’ll hate me if he realises he’s the only boy not going (and I’m reasonably sure he would be based on the amount of holidays his team mates go on). Plus R is away for a week in February, so he might take it as favouritism (skiing with family).

On the face of the easiest thing to do, is give the rugby up. I would get a lie-in on Sundays, and he’d be none the wiser. But he needs the interaction, and he’d have lots more energy, (which wouldn’t be such a great side-effect during the winter!).

What really winds me up is why they do this in the first place? He’s only seven and doesn’t need these trips, so why put me in the possible position of being a bad-guy to my son?! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Anyway, on to sweeter news! At the end of March J and S will be appearing on stage at the local Opera House with their Ballet school. J will be in three evening performances and a matinee, and S just the matinee. They are sooooooo excited, especially J who was measured for her fish costume today and will start learning her moves next week. It's going to be a medley of children’s ballets and J’s class will be appearing in The Little Mermaid (no idea if it’s the original story, or the Hollywood version). Gleefully I can afford to look forward to this event, as all it’ll cost is the price of a ticket!


--x--

Update (before I’ve even posted!): I wrote this earlier, but didn’t post as I was bothered by my lack of resolve with the P situation. Suddenly realised I should just tell him! So I did, as kindly as possible. He took it so well, and made me mighty proud! Though at one point he had tears in his eyes and made me feel so wretched, in desperation I said, ‘If love were money, I’d be rich enough to buy you the moon!’ – his face lit up with a giggle and he started coming up with things we have a lots of, that would make us rich if it were money (kisses were his favourite :o)) Phew, I feel better! And he still wants to go to rugby! Double win!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Awesome update! I'm so glad it turned out like that, I was feeling your pain all throughout. I've had to tell my kids at different times we couldn't afford something. How sweet! What happened to S? Was she sleep walking?

Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:56:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I was feeling so sad, and all of a sudden, your last paragraph lifted the sadness and made me happy -- and very respectful of your Mommy talents.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 12:45:00 am  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

ditto what oldhorsetailsnake said ---- what a great kid you have!! :)

Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:28:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Of course, there are other ways of raisng money - you could have a whip-round amongst your blogger readers. That would raise, oh, enough for the trip to the airport. Or you could...

[Suggestion deleted on grounds of good taste]

Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:24:00 am  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

It's great to hear that your son took the news so well. I think kids are smarter and wiser sometimes than we realize. It's great that you went to him and told him the truth too. I think that will help him feel more grown up that you trusted him with that responsibility.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 4:31:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home