Friday, January 06, 2006

That Crunchie Friday feeling has to be around here somewhere!

I’m typing offline again. Haven’t had internet since the engineer was here this morning – just after he left because everything was great! He reckons it’s our router, but as I can’t be bothered talking geeky speculation blab, I’ll shut up.

Other tiresome events news included J being off school because she felt ill in the playground and asked to come home. I guess it must be the same type of sickness P suffers from, as she’s been alright ever since!

I didn’t get a new battery because the old one passed whatever tests the garage devised. I was gracious enough about it, and smiled sweetly as I told the man that if I got stuck in a line of school traffic and held everyone up with a flat battery, I’d be back to rip his head off. For a moment he hesitated, but said he couldn’t authorise a new one when this one was behaving.

But something a little odd did happen when I arrived at the garage – when I walked into the office, the manager asked me which one I was. Being that I’m poor at telepathy, or understanding nonsensical sentences (unless I’m writing them ;o)), I simply frowned.

“Sparks, or battery?”

“Battery,” I confirmed.

He laughed and explained they’d tried to give my battery to another woman not two hours earlier. Not being sure if this was supposed to amuse me I raised my eyebrows.

“Weird,” he shook his head, “that two people look so alike and drive the same type of car!” Then after going through the test results, the mechanic showed up and was told to put the old battery back in my car. He looked me up and down before asking his boss if he was sure.

As I stood freezing my butt off waiting, I chatted with the mechanic and found out my double is definitely still around (he was as bemused as his boss).

You see I’ve heard about this woman before. When I was fourteen I got into trouble with my father for skipping school, after he’d seen me in town one lunchtime – except I didn’t skip school (well, not that school). When I was seventeen my best friend asked why I’d been standing at a bus stop instead of using my car – I hadn’t been (but I did ask when she hadn’t stopped to discover it wasn’t me!) When I was nineteen I was screamed at in the street by some bloke who thought I was ignoring him – I didn’t know him (I would assume him a lonely weirdo, except his girlfriend was with him, looking horrified). At twenty-three I was standing in a queue and the woman behind me started talking like she knew me – it was a very confused conversation and it took several minutes for her to realise I wasn’t the person she thought. Then I changed my hair colour to brown and heard no more. But a year ago I went blonde again and now it seems the confusion is back.

Strange that we’ve never met considering the size of the island. But then, I wonder if I’d recognise her? I know that sounds silly, but think about it, would you recognise yourself other than in a mirror or picture? I’m not sure I would, as I know what I’m like if people I know show up at odd places I don’t expect!

In the old days it used to bother me, and the wonder of who she was would consume me for days afterward. But back then all I knew was, I was adopted and didn’t know where I came from. Now I do, and whilst there’s always a remote chance we’re related, I’ve found that I no longer care and see it as a coincidence. Bit if a shame, as I think I miss the big mystery.


Now after all that, you can guess from the tone that my mood isn’t on a high. But at the same time it isn’t in a pit. This is partly down to it being Friday, partly the hope that I may get online later, and partly Daisy Mae! You see Daisy sent me a parcel and it arrived today! Just like Christmas all over again! And she spoilt me rotten with Hershey’s Kisses, magazines and some other treats too. Thank you so much Daisy, you made my day!

I had hoped to do some baking with the kisses (J was keen! (with nothing else to do!!!)), and I even had the time – but as I couldn’t get on the internet, I couldn’t convert the American cup measurements into actual weights. But if and when I ever get online, I shall be taking notes for future reference (not that I’m a pessimist or anything!), so watch this space – there’s cookies a-coming!


--x--


I'm on with wireless, but can’t get my to my email on this machine! Will these trials never end?!

7 Comments:

Blogger Lois Lane said...

Your Frappr name is Jona? There is a black haired lady on there named Jona. Is that you? I hate to add a someone who may not be you. It'd be like mistaking a stranger as my friend and you know how well that works out. :P
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:08:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Lois, I've sent a friend request - so hopefully I'll soon be there! And thanks for stopping by mine :o)

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:20:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I'm glad the pkg arrived okay. I was afraid the postman would rip open the box and eat the kisses. Ha ha.

I was mistook once for Chris Everett (a tenis pro) once when the tennis tournement was in town. But that was a lONG time ago. How weird to know that there is someone out there that looks like you. But weird in a cool way.

Friday, January 06, 2006 11:31:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

They say that everone has a doppelganger... Very interesting that you've never run into this other person!

Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:29:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

I'd love a doppleganger. I'd imprison her in my house, and make her keep the bathrooms clean and sort out my kids' fights.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:41:00 am  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

I know what you mean about would you recognize her? I had a friend in high school who would always tell me that she had another friend who could be my twin. Apparantly she'd been telling the other girl the same thing. When we finally had a chance to meet, we both looked at each other very funny. I know thinking "is THAT what I look like?"

Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:58:00 pm  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

When I was a teenager, I had similar experiences with a doppelganger in my town. Some guy chased after me as I was entering a store. He was yelling at me and as soon as he got near me he stopped in his tracks and looked very shocked and embarrased. Said I looked just like his girlfriend. I hope you get to meet yours some day.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 5:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home