Sunday, July 09, 2006

Blonde? I should be platinum!

I’m going to admit something really, really stupid that happened yesterday. And I mean toe-curling stupid!

I don’t think I shall be sharing this with people in real life, unless they notice. But as I have experience with alopecia and am rather handy with my make-up, it boded well that no-one commented yesterday. That, or they thought it too delicate to mention to my face.

As you know, it was P’s eighth birthday yesterday, however that has nothing to do with this tale of woe stupidity, and so I’ll get back to that later.

Ugh, where to start? This is embarrassing! So first I’ll tell more than ever wanted to know about my make-up habits.

I curl my eyelashes. Nothing too amazing in that, plenty of women do. And nowadays you can buy those fancy heated type. Unfortunately I’m too tight to buy them. Instead I have a metal pair (you know the type – look like an instrument of torture) and I use my hairdryer to warm them.

You know where this is going, don’t you? Yeah.

Yesterday, I followed my regular routine, I heated my curlers in the usual fashion, but instead of placing my dryer on the bed next to me, I left them on my lap whilst I curled my eyelashes – again nothing too outrageously abnormal in that.

But here’s my words of warning: when a dryer slips, it’s instinct to grab for it.

And this is an awful idea when your right hand is busy holding eyelash curlers in place.

The BH was lying in bed watching me in stunned silence, only daring to speak to point out I’d said ‘Oh my god!’ six times, and it wasn’t going to put my eyelashes back.

In my defence, there’s something very un-nerving about suddenly seeing ALL your right eye eyelashes suddenly at arms length. Poor little things. Poor me.

What’s weird is, it didn’t even hurt. You’d think it would, right? I certainly sat there waiting for the pain, but thankfully it didn’t come. And better still I caught my dryer!

So what are the chances of me posting a picture now? NIL. At least not of my face. Can’t have you lot enlarging the photo and seeing my bald eye! This is just too embarrassing, and I’m going to have to live with is for more than a couple of weeks. I’m guessing, but if you know how long eyelashes take to grow back, and it isn’t that long, please feel free to make me feel better (and explain how you know).

So now my tale of embarrassment is out, and I suppose I should mention P’s birthday. It went well, all things considered.

Those things include a mother with no eyelashes and a fragile disposition, a sports day with too many people milling around for my comfort, grandparents and godparents who stress me to the point of breaking, and a general hecticness that should only be repeated once a year. Which, if I only had one child, would work out perfectly. But as I don't we're now on the two week countdown to S's fourth birthday.

But in all seriousness, he seemed to love the day and gave me a wonderful hug and said so before going to bed. Of course none of us were thrilled with his sister S who broke his main pressie and hid it, before the day was out.

Here’s some moments from our day:

12 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

Oh my, ouch! funny story tho. Your kids are adorable! And it looks like you pulled off another great party - yea Mom. :D

Sunday, July 09, 2006 3:24:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

False eyelashes?

Says he having no idea about these things.

Wear an eye-patch, and pass it off as a cricket-related injury.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 4:04:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Youch! even though it didn't hurt you it hurt me just reading about it! Think you ought to pull the other side out too to even things up a bit?


Great birthday pics!

Sunday, July 09, 2006 6:07:00 pm  
Blogger Walker said...

That sounds like it hurt but....ok I am laughing but i could relate.
I have been know to let a glass go to grab something only to miss that to.
Thank you for your comment and sorry it took me this long to get here :)

Sunday, July 09, 2006 6:29:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

What darling children!! (And I do not use the world "darling" loosely. These kids are priceless.)

Oh, about the eyelashes? They never come back. Might as well show us the picture now.

Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:20:00 pm  
Blogger poopie said...

Yikes..I've never heard of heated eyelash curlers. Maybe I should try that hairdryer trick!

Sunday, July 09, 2006 11:24:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Awww...happy birthday to the boy. What a cutie!

Kristy
dangerpanda.com

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:01:00 am  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

Ouch! I've accidentally pulled out lashes with my eyelash curler before too. I agree with Dave who suggested false eyelashes until they grow back.

Absolutely adorable pictures!

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:25:00 pm  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Awww, looks like it was a great day, minus the eyelash episode. It was painful to read, glad it didn't actually hurt.
Lois Lane

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:33:00 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

It looks like you had a fun day, the pictures are great. Your story had me cracking up. I had an eyebrow incident once and have never forgotten it. It's a good thing we can laugh at ourselves, huh?

I hope you're having a great week!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:44:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

Oh, NO!! I'm so sorry about your eyelashes. Probably a good excuse to wear the sunglasses for a while. :)

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:17:00 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

Bad news about the eyelash diaster! Im sure you will survive, bald eye. It could have been worse, you could have hurt your eye!
Love the photos of the kids. Now that is life! Is that a Dr. Who darlic? I didnt think it was still on tv. Looks like the dog likes it!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:25:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home