Tuesday, June 13, 2006

There’s nothing more boring than a…

…bored person, as my mother used to say. In which case, you may wish to leave now.

My up/down moods of the last few days have been replaced with a restlessness of everything around me. As the school summer term speeds towards its conclusion with its mass of activities, all I can do is sigh. Here we go again.

Of course I daren’t ever say this out loud, or at least not within ear-shot of my mother, as her original warning of boredom is now replaced with ‘You made your own bed!’ Yep, my mom has a mountain of sayings to put me in my place.

And I know I deserve it. Too many kids, too many chores, too many jobs, and all for too many years. This is what I wanted, and it's great to get what you want. Except, it's a bit like a seven year old getting a sweet shop for their birthday, and by the time their eight, they're fat and off chocolate for life. Well maybe not life, but definitely for tonight.

Aren’t I a little ray of sunshine today? And speaking of sunshine, it’s gone. Replaced with the wind and rain, again. Might even get off my butt and put the heating back on. But if I get off my butt I’ll pass the door-frame, and as that needs painting, it’ll bring a pile of guilt. So maybe I’ll sit here a while longer.

Did I tell you I got invited to Prague? But I made the mistake of asking what for (I honestly can’t think why I would want to go, and anyway it would require spending money and children juggling) and so my mother withdrew her offer. Good job really as the timing was horrendous, at the end of Michealmas term, and that’s even busier than this term, so it was never a goer really. But I would like to go away, in fact I think I’d like to be lost somewhere, with no responsibilities or demands. But not Prague, somewhere warm and deserted. Fat chance.

I was also thinking I’d like to go swimming. I can swim, I just don’t ever get the chance, and I’d like to. But we only have two public pools and one is cold and expensive, and the other’s too far to nip to. Excuses, excuses. So I’ll dream on, at least until September (which is fast becoming a mythically era with plenty of spare time as S will have started at big school.)

Back in the real world my life did get a tad better today. The dishwasher was finally fixed, after two months of being on strike. Almost funny really as I arrived home from work to find two men lying on my kitchen floor (my mother had let them in, as she was here watching R for me). They’d taken over the entire kitchen so I couldn’t even make a cup of tea, but they were only here two hours and now we don’t have to do the washing up, so I must let my irritation with them go. (But seeing as this was their third visit I swear it would have been cheaper [and more convenient for me!] for the insurance just to buy me a new machine.)

And I think I’d like to move house. Not this year, as I just couldn’t face it right now, but soon. Maybe. If I get my act together and finish this place. Which at my current rate probably won’t happen for another decade.

Have I mentioned I hate football? There’s yet another match on at the moment. Three a day for anyone who’s counting, which I’m not, but people like to talk about the bloody football. Good grief we’re not even through the first week and I’m sick of it. Though I doubt I’d even notice if it wasn’t for my current restlessness, as it’s only when I’m like this that I need television, for the distraction value.

And talking of distractions, I’ve just started wondering about something. Why do we still call Autumn term, Michaelmas, when we no longer call the Summer term, Trinity?

Umm, and can you tell I’m bored? By the way, it’s probably contagious, so ESCAPE NOW!

10 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

I'm too tired to be bored and i'm never bored by your posts, they are very entertaining. I'm in the same "i need a vacation" mood. Too bad we couldn't run off to a carribean island for a week or 2. We have a nice beach here but the water is freezing!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:06:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

You could probably raise some money with your child juggling act. Maybe you could solve all your issues by running away to join a circus...

...in Prague!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:58:00 am  
Blogger poopie said...

Yes, weary. Me too. ^j^

P.S. Take the trip!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:48:00 pm  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I think it's the weather. I've been awefully tired and bored lately.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:17:00 am  
Blogger Sam said...

Vacation!!!!!
I'm all for it (rubbing hands together and thinking of long days sitting under the cherry tree doing absolutely nothing...)
It's raining here too. It let up enough to take the dogs for a walk, so that was considerate of the weather.
I hope you get un-bored soon!!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:01:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Football (soccer) does not dominate my time, either. I don't even READ about it.

So, escape to Oregon, kid, and we will not watch football together.

Friday, June 16, 2006 6:50:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Oh Jona! You poor thing! trapped in a room with a door that you can't go through because the frame needs painting while being forced to watch a TV that plays nothing but football.
Huge piles of dishes that you can't do because you're trapped as mentioned above. Simultaneously being taunted by a freshly repaired dishwasher.
On a huge island where all the pools and the sea are too far away to travel to and swim.
Envious, because your kids are running a successful sweet shop, getting fat and probably raking in far more cash than you and the BH may ever make.
On a cloudy rainy cold day.

Your poooooor girl!

Blame it on the weather.

But your blog will never ever ever be boring!
;-)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:13:00 pm  
Blogger Karen said...

I hope you're less bored now and you had a good weekend!

Monday, June 19, 2006 2:47:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

A week is along time not to hear from you. Do hope you're OK.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:21:00 am  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

hello! Jona, come out and play! Hope you're doing okay.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:09:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home