Monday, June 12, 2006

No thunder-storm, but no field trip for me either.

R’s at home again today. Again, because I don’t think I mentioned he was home on Friday, though you may remember he went to a sleep-over party on Saturday. I know that doesn’t sound very responsible of me, but the doctor we saw on Friday said R could go if he felt better. And he did, on Saturday.

Unfortunately by Sunday he was much worse (though no one thought to call me to collect him early!), and even a day in bed didn’t help. I was worried he was reacting to the medication as my body is intolerant to many, and figured I should take him back to the doctors. And what a nice doctor we saw. I say that because he made me laugh when P complained R wasn’t so sick he couldn’t still kick and punch him, and the doctor promptly told P he probably deserved it for being a little brother. You should have seen P’s face! Plus this wonderful doctor was thoughtful enough to slash 50% off the bill as it was a return visit – this is my type of doctor, and I’ll be sure to be seeing him again!

But R isn’t good. They’ve changed his antibiotics, given him yet another inhaler, upped his antihistamines and added some steroids. And all that came with a warning that they’d have to see him again in two days if he hasn’t improved, oh and if he gets worse, I’ve got to call them immediately.

So I excused myself from the field trip, as I may have left R for an hour on Friday (to go to work) but I couldn’t leave him half the day today.

I felt bad though. Apparently three other moms had cancelled too and J’s teacher was madly chewing her lip when I explained my problem. But still, J’s home now, having had a nice day with cows who tried to eat her dress, pigs who will eat anything, and chickens which she fell in love with (should be interesting next time I serve one!).

But I did have one major panic today. A friend called and asked me to collect her daughter from school, but when I arrived at the classroom door the teacher told me she’d gone already. I foolishly smiled thinking she was winding me up, but she wasn’t.

Ten minutes of frantic searching ensued, as we looked for the woman who had collected the girl. All to no avail. And then I had to call the mom and admit I’d lost her daughter and had no idea who’d taken her, or where she was.

To say I felt sick is an under statement. As it turned out the meds the mother is taking for her back, play havoc with her mind and she’d asked another woman to collect her daughter too. Phew! And the experience probably only added half a dozen grey hairs.

And we lost a baby bunny *sob*. Kobi found what little remains there were (he was trying to eat them! Ugh, he’s worse than the pigs!!) and I’ve remembered why I’m not a cat person. Poor bunny.


Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hey, everybody, let's all pitch in and see if we can't make Jona's day really bad. And so they did.

Monday, June 12, 2006 9:57:00 pm  
Blogger Tim-tambolini said...

Poor R. I sure hope he's feeling better with the new meds. Hey, I didn't realize you have to pay for doctor's visits there. What's with that? We don't have to pay in Canada, well, that's not entirely true...they get us with taxes anyway. Damned government!

And was the bunny your bunny? I didn't know you had bunnies and was it a cat that killed the bunny? Are these questions stupid or did I miss something somewhere?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:19:00 am  
Blogger g said...

It's good you got out of the field trip, but too bad that R is having problems getting his medications adjusted. They sound like a lot for one body to manage.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:19:00 am  
Blogger Who is this Dave? said...

Keep :)ing, won't you?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:37:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home