Thursday, June 29, 2006

I want you to be honest and tell me if it’s *me*

I’m not in a good mood. I’m irritated at R’s school (yet again!). As you know he only has a few weeks to go before he leaves, and though I haven’t explained the reasons here as to why we’re pulling him out, I’m sure you can gather it’s because we’re less than happy with the school.

On the 1st June we wrote a brief letter letting the headmaster know that R will be leaving. On the 19th June I wrote again, requesting that they acknowledge the first letter. We’ve heard nothing.

Yesterday, R comes home and tells me they got to watch Kingdom of Heaven at school (though they missed the final twenty minutes as the bell went). Umm, this had me wondering if my memory served me right, as I was sure the movie is a 15 certificate and surely they wouldn’t show it to my 11 year old.

But I am right, it is a 15 movie, and though I’m aware we’re somewhat old fashioned, we don’t allow R to see movies above a 12 rating. This doesn’t mean he hasn’t seen any movies which are older, he has (about four of them) but only after we’ve watched them and agreed he can see them within the house.

So after calling another mother to make sure it wasn’t just the odd clip they’d seen (incidentally, she wasn’t bothered in the least) I called the school today to enquire how this had come about.

Unfortunately it’s activities week and there’s no-one for me to speak to, except the headmaster’s secretary, with whom I explained my irritation. She took the details along with my number and asked me to bear with her until Monday when everyone should be back and available to provide the information. So be it.

But I also thought to mention that I had written to the headmaster twice this month and as yet, had not received a response. Off she went to look through her files then came back to tell me, yes they’re aware R is leaving and that she called me twice on the 21st June (at 3:50 and 4:15) to acknowledge my letters. I suggested she check the number on file, as I hadn’t received any messages. Sure enough the number was correct, but she went onto explain she didn’t like leaving messages as parents often panic when the school leaves a message to contact them.

I then pointed out that as I’m waiting for a response, did it not seem, I wouldn’t be panicking? She stuttered a bit then said she’d get the headmaster to call me Monday to discuss the movie issue and explain why I hadn’t received a written response to my letters to date.

A written response? Hang on a sec, I didn’t receive any response! If you call my house at school kicking out time and choose not to leave a message on the answering machine, how on earth am I supposed to know you’ve called? (Damn my poor telepathic abilities!)

Pointing this out only resulted in more stuttering and being told to bear with the school.

But bloody hell, I feel like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall! I mean, how long does it take to write: We acknowledge your letter of…. And what the heck is the school doing, showing a 15 certificate movie to my 11 year old? The secretary went on about finding out who authorised it, but in truth I couldn’t care less who authorised it – I didn’t give my permission and I don’t believe they know better than the certification board!

I am so narked. But honestly, I want to know, is it me?

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

No, it's not you.

I have seen the film, as a matter of interest. I assume the cert is for violence (I don't remember any sex or bad language) and I didn't think it that bad - but that is beside the point, as you say.

Anyway, you've got a nice game of cricket to look forwrad to on Saturday. The forecast is good, so you should enjoy yourself having a fag in the long grass. You may even get to bat.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:39:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

No, it's not you dear. But don't get your knickers in a snarl. Being anxious will take months off your life. Keep smiling!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:29:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

You are right but as oldhorsetails says it will take months off yr. life and why argue with city hall. make yr. complaint know(about the movie) and sit back and wait for a response. as for a response to yr. pulling him out of school; well i'm sure you'll be getting that now too; so forget about it for now. :D have a nice wkend.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:56:00 pm  
Blogger Page Turner said...

I don't think it's you at all! That school has got it's entire faculty with it's head up it's ass! Our schools around here would never let something like that go on and would definately respond to letters and such. I hope his new school will be better.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:27:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Wow, I would be pretty ticked too. sounds like that school has a problem. Is the headmaster a "do nothing moron"? I can't wait to hear what happens on Monday!

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:58:00 am  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Say, if I wanted to come visit you, how would I do that? And do you have any motels or hotels? Do you have an airport? (I hate boats.)

Saturday, July 01, 2006 10:05:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Good for you for taking him out. Whenever my kids' schools show a (commercial) movie--even if it has the appropriate age rating--a note goes home FIRST for us to sign authorizing them to show it to our child. This works pretty well because the kids are highly motivated to see the movies so take it upon themselves to see that those notes get both to us and then back to school.

Kristy

Sunday, July 02, 2006 4:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home