Monday, November 21, 2005

Calling time.

Umm, not many words to go. In fact, time for me to strip naked and do a dance in the rain – I’m done! I reached fifty thousand words this morning, I’m just putting off updating the word count (and anyway, it isn’t raining!)

And it might not take the extra fifteen thousand words I predicted to finish the story, because as I’ve said before, the characters tend do their own thing and are bringing it to a finale sooner than I expected (it's better too ;o)).

I’m gutted. And I know I should be happy, but this is what I’m like! I feel like a child who’s having its favourite toy ripped away. The adult in me knows I can carry on and I don’t need some stupid challenge to do it, but I DO, I DO!

Plus the BH reads this bl*g and knows my time is nearly over. At lunchtime he asked if there’s any chance we might get some curtains for Christmas. Umm, well, I suppose if I’m being forced to turn into *me* again, I should pull my finger out and make the house look like a home.

Other highlights from my day include: J arriving at school this morning, and going to place her bag in the correct queue. She takes a detailed look at the mass of bags, turns to me and with hands on hips says, “Does this look like a line to you?” Heaven help me, what have I created?

And being manically waved at, by my ‘friend’s’ partner. Seeing as I let him out at a junction, it doesn’t seem unusual that he might raise a hand in gratitude, but he went way over the top and looked like a demented toddler trying to get my attention with a big grin on his face. Huh? I’m confused! She’s spent the last three months avoiding me at all costs, and yet he’s overjoyed to see me. I don’t get it, and I’m not going to bother trying to figure it out. But I’m thinking he doesn’t know she still owes me money. That’s if he knew in the first place. And this is actually odder than I cared to mention before, because what I didn’t tell you was, he’s an ex of mine. Luckily a very short lived ex, but nevertheless we were never overjoyed to see each other and had one of those awkward ‘Hi, how are you [now please let one of us be swallowed, screaming into a bottomless pit]’ greetings. Oops, said I wasn’t going to try and figure it out! Well, I still haven't.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sabine said...

Oh Goody! I'm the first here to congratulate you.

YAY JONAH!!!!

Now, I'd better get writing... :)

Monday, November 21, 2005 4:39:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

And only moments later, so too am I.

Will the photos of the dance be appearing on the blog?

Monday, November 21, 2005 4:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Deb's, and if there are any pics I get first dibs!! Now get sewing (please)

Monday, November 21, 2005 5:07:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Thank you :o)

And, errr no I don’t think I’ll post the pictures up (hey, you know what people are like, and I’d only end up getting sued for causing traumatic stress ;o))

And *anon*, you could always learn to sew...

Monday, November 21, 2005 7:57:00 pm  
Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Yeah Jona!!! Woo-Hoo!!! It seems like you really cranked that novel out. Good job and hurray for you. I admire writers like you and Doug. I don't know how you do it, but it's pretty cool.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 2:52:00 am  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Too funny about your daughter -- that made me crack up! And congrats on the word count my friend!!! YAHH!!!!!!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 5:21:00 am  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Go Jona! Tell the BH you're a writer now and he'll just have to get used to it. (Sorry, BH, but there it is.)

Suggestion: cut back to 1000 words a day. You can still get a novel written in 3 months time, and you'll have time left over for family.

Dibs on the naked rain dancing pix. You can make them all blurry and artistic so the BH won't get upset.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! Now you have to submit your book for publication.

How did you find out about NANO? I went to the site and see that it is only held once a year. Do they do anything thing else during the rest of the year?

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:42:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Thank you!


MOH, yep, it never occurred to me that trying to be helpful could end so disastrously! We live and learn.

Lita, I’d heard about NaNo last year on various writers sites, but didn’t have the nerve to attempt it! They don’t appear to do anything for the rest of the year, but you never know, so bookmark the page. (and I’ll give you a shout next October to draw you in ;o)) But as for the submission thing, I may still have some way to go before I gather the nerve for that!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:07:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home