Sunday, November 20, 2005

Starting to fret

My word count is good, a little too good, and I’m only getting the grace of my Better Half till I reach fifty thousand words. Which I could probably manage today *sob* Then this shall all have to stop, and I’ll be required to join real life once again. Apart from two hours of taxi driving yesterday, I was sat at my computer from eight till one in the morning. And it was easy. And fun. And I don’t want it to stop.

I’ve even started to wonder if my notebook text document could be inflating the number of words, but the NaNo info page says it’s word documents that do that, so I guess not. This doesn’t mean the story is finished, and I’m estimating another fifteen to twenty thousand should do it – and I even have an ending I’m driving towards! But I can’t continue to ignore everyone around me, so it will have to be finished at leisure, and that’s a worry because slowing doesn’t suit my madness method.

On the upside I am feeling good about this story – not that the story is good, I think it could most likely be classed as corny chick-lit mush – but I feel that it has a pace and direction, though the lack of description makes my toes curl. And I’ve already decided the first six chapters need to be scrapped and rewritten, but whether I’ll bother remains to be seen, as I don’t think this is a story I shall share. But that in itself is another funny thing because I see this experience very much as a learning curve and am at peace with the idea that this is just another step towards creating something decent one day. I thought my last book was good when I was writing it and had some daft ideas of doing something with it, but when the edit job crushed me like a bug, I walked away feeling bereft – and yet this one – I know isn’t good enough to do anything with, and it’s still making me happy!

I’ve even been daring enough to mention to a few people in real life that I’m doing this. And if you think that sounds minor, then you don’t know me very well! One woman made me laugh when I explained what NaNoWriMo was, she said ‘So you’re a writer!’ err, no, I write, but I’m not a writer. Yet. ;o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Sabine said...

Look at you go! I've given up on catching you, Debi, but I'm applauding you all the way.

That's what I loved about Nano last year. It taught me the beauty of the "quick-and-dirty" first draft, and it taught me to set aside time every day, just to write. Alas, last year I dropped the ball, and lost momentum that I never really picked up again. This year I don't intend to. Of course, if NaNo didn't happen the month before Christmas it might be easier to maintain the momentum, but I'm not going to let that be an excuse this year.

Of course, I doubt you can manage many 5 hour writing sessions with a family to look after, but you can set aside one hour each and every day, yes? Maybe sometimes two hours?

Anyway, I'm over here in the snow, clapping for you. :)

Sunday, November 20, 2005 12:15:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Maureen,

have you any idea how loud I am going to scream and how tight I shall hug you when we meet? I consider this whole thing down to *YOU* & Doug, and I could write several thousand words about how grateful I am to the pair of you - but as we're both short on time, I'll just say Thank You from the bottom of my heart :o)

I have to agree that being in November is an absolute bummer and I'd would probably try and pace myself more in February or March. Still, maybe I can learn about that next year!

Oh and yesterday wasn't five hours, it was 8am till 1am and I think I've used up all my brownie points with the BH, so ahould probably go offer to make lunch ;o)

And you have snow? Please post some pictures!

Sunday, November 20, 2005 12:31:00 pm  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

uhh... you're a writer :)

Monday, November 21, 2005 1:31:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

You may not be a published writer, but you're definitely a writer.

Monday, November 21, 2005 3:52:00 pm  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Yes you are a writer. It takes a real writer to know when it's time to go back for rewrites. Best of luck to you! Thanks for the link, you are official now too. :)
Lois Lane

Monday, November 21, 2005 3:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home