Monday, October 03, 2005

Bubble and Squeak*

I’ve got a headache starting. Just what I don’t need and if I stray from making a point, you’ll know why.

As Huw commented on my last post, this morning was dull. But at least it wasn’t just because of the grey clouds, we were also missing half the sun (and in fact I was grateful for the clouds as I couldn’t find my solar glasses – do you suppose that’s why I’ve got a headache?).

And it was about the best eclipse (partial or full) I’ve ever been lucky enough to see. So my day started well!

Another person having a good day, is our daughter J, who started school three weeks ago. She’s obviously made an impression and regardless of her tears in the morning seems to be shining. We know this because she’s been awarded the ‘Class Pupil of the Month’. I didn’t realise at first what an achievement this is, but a letter detailing that her picture is to appear in the school foyer along with a certificate and she gets to wear a posh badge for the month, soon had me beaming with pride! She got it for working hard, listening well and helping to tidy up (yeah, I know I should go in and check the picture to see if it's really her!)

It’s good timing too, as her little sister S, has her school interview tomorrow. My last baby! With a bit of luck they’ll be as ignorant as the boys’ school was, and won’t figure out both my youngest of the sexes make the teachers earn their money. Wish us luck!

I’m also in a constant panic at the moment with the kids’ hair as a nit notice has appeared on the nursery school door. I checked all mine yesterday and we’re clear – but I can almost feel what’s coming.

Last time it took me three weeks to get J’s head de-nitted. Curls might be cute to look at, but for every nice thing in life, there is a drawback. Nits are our nemesis.

We have one of those electric nit combs, but all the children scream as I can’t seem to do it without zapping the kids too. The mousse stuff works well on coarse hair, and the smelly Ly-clear is good for most people. Then you have the strong really smelly stuff that has to be left on till the hair dries, which in J’s case means staying off school for the day. But even that took three treatments last time.

And because I’ve used so many treatments to no avail, I thought I’d do some reading.

I was somewhat horrified to discover all those chemicals I soaked my children’s heads with, isn’t good. And that’s an understatement.

So this time, if we get them I’ve got tea-tree oil and shampoo at the ready, along with some lesser know treatments including vinegar (left on to dry), and mayonnaise (worn with a swim cap overnight – ugh!)

If you’ve heard of any others, please let me know!

And talking of hair, I had mine cut and coloured. And the BH doesn’t like it. He denies this of course, but what would you think if your husband stared at you a full ten seconds before answering whether he liked it?!

It’s shorter than I’ve had it for six years (about the same length as my weatherpixie) and I went darker because I felt I was too blond. There’s not a lot I can do about the length for a while, but I’m going back to more blond next appointment. Not because of the BH, but because I scared myself when I looked in the mirror the other morning.

And say hello to our next generation of toad! Isn’t he cute? He’s also got a death wish as he sits on the steps to warm himself in what little sun there is.







* I'm unsure if the title is universal, but around here 'bubble and squeak' is bits and pieces left over from the week, which is what I've given you (traditionally referrring to a meal your mother inflicts upon you, with all the leftovers)

8 Comments:

Blogger Sabine said...

I ran into nits with one of my kids once, and had excellent results with the comb. It was a lot of combing, but an hour a day and we were cleaned up from a pretty bad infestation within a week.

There's no electricity involved - I didn't even know they made something like that! It just mechanically removes lice and eggs.

Good luck!

Monday, October 03, 2005 5:24:00 pm  
Blogger Sabine said...

Hmm. That link didn't work well, did it? The comb is called the Licemeister.

Monday, October 03, 2005 6:48:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Maureen, the link worked fine, thank you :o) I have mailed them for international postage cots on the comb.

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:13:00 pm  
Blogger Huw said...

A kettle full of boiling water, liberally poured over the infected area, often does the trick I find.

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:25:00 pm  
Blogger Pernicious Panda said...

Vaseline can be used in place of mayonaise, and perhaps wouldn't be quite as nasty (close call though).

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:06:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Ah nits. How glad I am that my own children are now adult (and so can look after themselves) whilst my hair is cut short for cricket, and thus easy to treat.

Boiled vaseline and mayonnaise, applied as a poltice, may be effective (but I take no responsibility...)

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:43:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

The close haircut, the close inspection, the comb, the inspection, the comb, the hand-picking. Short hair will grow out. Even on girls.

In the U.S., laws against trade (car sales, clothing sales, beer sales, etc.) were called Blue Laws. Why, I don't know, as most of them originated in the Red States. Hoo hah.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 6:20:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I always thought bubble and squeak was fried cabbage. Or maybe cabbage and sausage?

NIts - Oh the horror! Every fall we would get notices from the kids teachers that a student in their grade had lice and we should check our childrens heads everynight. Thank God I escaped my kids every having them. I think I would have fainted if they had. But now I watch Lil Miss every afternoon so that's a new letter to get and a new head to check.

I remember the blue Laws. We used to shop in Delaware on Sunday as their Blue Laws were differnt than Marylands. Here in India you still can't buy beer on Sunday. The horror!

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home