Saturday, August 13, 2005

All change!

I’m in the mood for new things. I’m not sure this will last, but I’ll try things so long as they stay fun!

First up is my template, though I’m thinking I should have been more honest and replaced the coffee with tea and cookies with a couple of cigarettes (err, yes, these are another little secret that few in RL know about!), but they reflect my feeling that this blog is some time out for me.

Next up I’ve joined blog explosion. This was on the spur of the moment when I was reading Latin Lovers page and had pangs of envy when he said how his hits had risen.

In the cold light of morning I woke and wondered at the real benefits. Does it really matter how many hits you get? I guess this largely depends upon what type of blog you write, but seeing as mine has become a lot more personal than I originally planned, isn’t it more important that I have a circle of bloggers I adore and feel comfortable with? With this thought in mind, I trembled at my impulsiveness.

Then I logged on.

Thirty-two hits before I even got up this morning, usually that’s average days worth!

I’m unexpectedly thrilled.

I think.

But I also think I’ll be happier if some of them choose to return and say something! So until they do, I’m still thrembling.

Next I found something fun for the blog. A guest-map! As a reader you can place a marker where you are in the world. How cool is that?! (Or am I showing my nerdiness at loving these blog add ons?)

Unfortunately I haven’t yet started changing anything in RL, but I want to relax and enjoy what’s left of the holidays and anyway, small steps are sure steps… and hey, these are a start!

12 Comments:

Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Isn't Blog Explosion great? I love how my hits have jumped since I've joined. I'm like you though, I love all the new first time visitors, but I truly value my returning visitors that read my blog and comment regularly.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 1:54:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

I love coffeeeee
and cooooooookies!!

I'll check out all your links too.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 3:26:00 pm  
Blogger techymike said...

That guest map was really cool! Of course, I screwed up the first time I did it, and now I can't delete that entry, but oh well, it's still awesome! Thanks for sharing it!
-Mike

Saturday, August 13, 2005 4:36:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Nice template Debi. Was this the one I voted for? Probably not, but you're smarter than I am.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 4:48:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of Blog explosion until now.

I like the new template.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 8:39:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I like the new template too.

Is Blog Explosion the one where you have to surf blogs through them to drive traffic to your site? If so, I wonder how much 'quality' traffic comes around -- folks who actually read your site as opposed to folks who merely stop by (while doing other things) to drive traffic to their own site.

Perhaps I'm thinking of something different.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:22:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Doug, you're thinking of the right thing.

The system isn’t ideal as I’m sure some people runs through blogs without reading just to drive traffic back to their site - but at the same time, my thinking is that more people will see my site, and I have nothing to lose as there are thousands of great ‘mommy blogs’ and I’m unlikely to found by a general search.

When I’m looking for new blogs I sometimes run through by pressing the next blog button and the blog explosion system isn’t much different other than having to stop for thirty seconds (and I don’t find this too much of a problem because at least the blogs are in English and aren’t adverts ;o)).

So far I’ve found about a dozen sites I’ve bookmarked and plan to take another look at, and even if not a single one of the explosion traffic return to this site, just finding sites I like and leaving comments at can generate me new readers.

I figure this is worth a shot :o)

Sunday, August 14, 2005 11:47:00 am  
Blogger Me said...

I love the new site!

You have inspired me to start learning how to design my own template. It may be a while until you see the end result, but at least the ball is rolling.

I hope that you get many returning visitors to your blog, and enjoy your new traffic!

Sunday, August 14, 2005 6:39:00 pm  
Blogger kyknoord said...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've found some pretty good blogs on BE. It's quite a good way to give your blog exposure. Of course, the majority of members don't actually stop and read anything, but it's worth it for the few who do make the effort.

Monday, August 15, 2005 7:05:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Blog explosion says you can't visit the same blog within 24 hours, sometimes I look at a blog and have to think awhile before commenting, I don't want to be restricted. Have you noticed any problems with that?
Why not use the same time Blog Explosion requires you to visit other peoples blogs and hit the "Next Blog" button and comment on blogs you like, then they can come back to yours?

Monday, August 15, 2005 11:39:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Mark, You can bookmark the blogs you like either the normal way or clicking the blogmark icon that BE provide (but you can only access those blogs through BE if you do that). And yep, if you leave a comment they can find your site.

The only thing I have noticed is that as you surf and earn credit, that's when people are visiting your blog too - worth remembering if you haven't updated for a few days. (Or -sudden thought- I suppose the percentages on credit earnt could be altered to spend after I've posted something new.)

Monday, August 15, 2005 1:57:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I love your coffee and cookies template. Now I want to go out and buy some cookies. Great...

Monday, August 15, 2005 3:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home