Monday, August 01, 2005

Monday with a difference!

This morning didn’t feel like a Monday. Usually, when Monday arrives my first emotion of the day is dread at the coming week, but then I get a spark of anticipation and hop out of bed to check my emails.

The cause this momentary excitement is Doug, and whilst his emails were rarely weekly, there was always the possibility he had sent something. But not now, because now, Doug’s completed his book, and no more chapters will arrive at my inbox. But I can’t complain, becuase obviously I'm *thrilled* for Doug! And anyway, there also wasn’t the usual dread this morning.

This week is special. The children have no activities and no commitments! Not one! FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK!*

This may not sound like a great cause for happiness if you have a life, but I don’t. Mine is lived through my children and the weeks when I get to decide (maybe even on a whim ;o)) what we’re doing and when, are very, very rare. (I might even do nothing! Just imagine...)

I’ve also done a meal plan, which is also rare but for the opposite reason (this comes under being a crappy disorganised mother!).

So this morning I dragged everyone to the beach and made them run around for an hour in the hope that their energy levels would drop for the rest of the day. This has worked a treat, and provided the added bonus of getting the food shopping done without me resorting to more than veiled threats if they didn't stop running down the aisles!

Next came the Monday chores. Every room must reveal carpet enough for me to vacuum. But to be perfectly honest I really wasn’t in the mood. So I bribed the boys!

Both have become obsessed with money. (I think this may be a reaction to the brainwashing I put them through. It goes like this: you have to work hard at school so you can get the best grades you possibly can, only that way will you get options in life. Options include getting a job you love, or a job where you make lots of money (the ideal job would incorporate both), or getting a well paid job and working just enough hours to live on. Mommy and Daddy didn’t work hard enough, and thus don’t have options, and that’s why we're terrible parents who've never taken them on holiday (they all fantasise about Florida, me too!), oh and, mommy and daddy will need looking after in a grand fashion in our old age.)

And for one pound each the boys tidied the lounge and girls bedroom (little do they know, I would have paid a lot more!) In turn, they bribed the girls twenty pence each to pick up their clothes and pass the books up off the floor.

Meanwhile, in the peace and tranquillity of my EMPTY kitchen, I was able to sweep without screaming at anyone for repeatedly running through my dust pile. Heaven.

The only mar on an otherwise great day is, even I realise how ridiculous it is that these tiny things make me so happy!

--x--


*They also don't have actitives for the next two weeks, but because the BH will be at home I'll be dancing to a different tune ;o)

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

I understand your frustration, but I don't think you are a bad mother. You sound like a fabulous mother and care very much for your children.

I think you do a great job and you'll reap the rewards in the long run.

Monday, August 01, 2005 4:14:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Thanks anduin, I hope so because the short run is mighty tiring!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:00:00 am  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

It is rich indeed that you can find happiness in such simple things. Good on ya.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:58:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi Debi,

Still editing (and will be for a good long while, I'm afraid!)

Edwin sent back his comments on the last chapter -- he gave me a thumbs up. So I'm waiting to hear from Maureen and Ben. Maureen has made a number of good suggestions re the emotional arc of various characters. E.g., she wants to see more of Boron & Ululi's relationship, so that when Boron turns away from it, it's a greater loss; also, she felt that Sul's change (villain to hero) and Cree's change (kid to doer) were too abrupt. So I have a bit of work in front of me.

Then I have to sell it.

THEN I'll start working on the sequel ;o)

See ya

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:35:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home