Monday, July 25, 2005

I want a pause button

I’m in an awful mood, and am not going to post much because I might pass on the feeling.

It has nothing to do with S’s party (which went very well, even the weather behaved) and has nothing to do with her birthday (which is today and I believe she is enjoying).

No, my bad mood has come about, due to several factors. Firstly (though in no particular order) is my husband. Before the party yesterday he managed to get me cross by doing nothing to help with the party preparations (he conveniently forgot the one thing I asked him to do - clean the shower when he was showering), but instead wandered around doing totally irrelevant things like sorting the mismatched sock bin (all over the lounge floor right after I had vacuumed). Then today, the BH is off work to help our builder, Mark, work on our new deck. I normally look forward to his company but he managed to really irritate me this morning by not getting out of bed. I dropped several hints that time was short and reminded him I had to leave by nine to get R to cricket. Did he get out of bed so that S could open her pressies? No, but he sure jumped to attention when Mark drove up. (S finally opened he presents at lunchtime when we could all enjoy twenty minutes together)

The second irritation I discovered when S opened her big present from us. I got her a beautiful dress-up dress a week ago last Saturday. I knew it was the right size and didn’t keep the receipt (yes, yes, I know I AM STUPID), but when S went to try it on I found out the shop has left the security tab on. On the day I bought it I remember the alarms went off and I waited patiently by the doors for the okay to leave, they blamed one of the shop staff stacking shelves by the entrance. So now I have a dress that looks like I pinched it!

And what the made the situation frustrating as hell was when I called the store to speak to the manageress, the switchboard cut off my call four times! I wanted to scream about their incompetence (which I’m paying for!!), but can hardly do that when I’m trying to persuade them I’m not a petty thief! The manageress has asked me to go in, but they really would prefer to see the receipt. GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Another highlight of the day was S seeing her Uncle to go buy her ballet kit (which she starts in September). This was a supposed to be a birthday gift and as my brother likes to do the cool uncle act, he meets the birthday child in town and flashes his wallet (which is about the only time any of the family see it or him, in fact I have a theory that he’s too tight to spend on the postage, or petrol, or wrapping!). Anyway, the ballet shop has a sign on the door. CLOSED. CLOSING DOWN SALE ON SATURDAY 30th JULY. EVERYTHING HALF PRICE. Well my brother doesn’t mind (!) but my three year old is might upset and I’m fed up that I’m running around like a blue arsed fly only to have to do it all again on Saturday!

Oh and last, but rarely least, is S’s godmother. By the time I got to christen the girls I had used up most of the long time, faithful and thoughtful friends in my life. So I asked my father’s business partner. She’s very nice and I’ve known her many years, and in many ways, is the BEST godparent any of my children have. In fact she’s so darn good she comes every week to take them out somewhere. So what am I bitching about? To start with she’s an important career woman and has an attitude to match. After all I’m only a lowly stay-at-home mother and it’s not like I’ve got anything to do, is it? What does it matter if she says she’ll be here at two and doesn’t show till five-to-three? But I could forgive that, because it’s not like I can judge being the mother always last to arrive at parties (though apart from that one occasion, I’m never later than fifteen minutes!). But what really bites the biscuit with this lovely (and I mean that) woman, is that SHE WON’T FRIGGING LEAVE!! You have NO idea! Her skin is thicker than a rhinos and she’s oblivious to hints like ‘only an hour till bedtime, and I must get them fed’; in fact, I have discovered this is just about the worse thing to say as she then tries to make herself useful, and wanders around my house looking for the girls nightclothes (which more often than not are in my bedroom!). I don’t want people to wander about my house, it’s never tidy in every room and I close doors FOR A REASON! And then she comments! She’ll say things like ‘Oh, you made a real effort to tidy up this week, Debi.’ She really is nice, just ignorant of my world.

And why I’m especially irritated today is that when my parents popped by to wish S a happy birthday, my father mentioned that The Godmother would be around later. Huh? She hasn’t called, let alone thought to ask what we’re doing. It’s quarter to three and at four the builder is leaving and we’re supposed to be having a family tea time. Fat bloody chance now!


Wow well, I’ve been here longer than I thought, and I feel a bit better. The kids are quiet which means I should go check what they’re up to. Some fool gave S felt-tip pens for her birthday, god, doesn’t everyone know you can’t paint over the ink?! Ooops, now I can hear the BH shouting, so I’d better go make everyone happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris & Cheryl said...

Don't you just despise it when no one else is on the same page as you? You've got a plan, you've told them what you want and still end up doing everything by yourself.

Monday, July 25, 2005 7:53:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Thank you for your comments, ladies :o)

And Moxie - I think you're right, I'm never direct if I know the other person is trying to be helpful! I am afraid of being rude, and have tried many 'hints' with The Godmother - but, I also know I am not the only person who feels she's hard to get through to (my mother has the same issues with her!).

You know - this is what I'm loving about blogs! I feel better getting my gripes and moans out, and other people help me see other perspectives, and what I might do to make things better.

I'm not yet sure how I'm going to be more direct, but I realise I have to learn (for my own sanity ;o)). Thank you!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 7:44:00 am  
Blogger Josh said...

that's not posting much? ;)

S is adorable.

Thursday, July 28, 2005 9:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home