Monday, July 18, 2005

Feeling happy!

In the early hours of Saturday morning my BH stumbled home (he’d been at a dinner/dance) and woke most of the house as he tried to remember how to undress. Once I had persuaded the kids that children’s TV wasn’t yet on, I turned my attention to aiding my drunken love.

He was very pleased with himself and kept mumbling about a raffle, but it was only when I emptied his pockets that I realised he was trying to tell me he had won! And get this – it’s an iPod shuffle!!

Now I know my eldest boy, R, wants a mini-iPod for his birthday next month, but there’s no way we can afford one and his father isn’t mad keen on him spending that sort of money, so this is a god-send! All I had to do was persuade R that what he really wants is the shuffle, and that he should forget the mini.

So on Saturday morning, whilst driving R to tennis I raised the subject of birthday presents. To my utter horror he said he didn’t want the shuffle his father had won (his dad wasn’t in the car or he wouldn’t have dared be so ungrateful!). But I had to think fast, and asked why he thought his father had won one. Turns out he hadn’t gone to sleep as quickly as I might have hoped and listened to us talking. I lied and said he hadn’t heard us correctly. I told him it was the man sat next to daddy who won – but that daddy had looked at the shuffle and wouldn’t object to R saving for one. But the conversation dived, because he knows the differences between the iPods and explained that the shuffle doesn’t display the name of the song playing, and has less memory capacity (where does he learn this stuff?).

Now I know I’m a ludite with no knowledge of these techie things, but does it really matter that the song name isn’t displayed?! And less capacity? How many songs can you listen to in one day? He can upload from his computer every night if he so wishes! These arguments, coming from a ten-soon-to-be-eleven year old seem pedantic to me and I could feel myself gearing up for the ‘when I was young’ speech. Luckily I thought better of it, as his father’s are way more impressive!

I reported the turn of events to my BH and explained I was out of my depth in convincing R to scale down his desires with this particular toy. So the BH took over, and persuaded R that the shuffle is just as cool as the mini, and if R saves hard, there might even be some money left over. Being a mercenary git, R always has a long shopping list, and so the BH’s reasoning worked its magic!

So I’m a happy soul. R will get his pressie and will still have his savings, and I don’t have to worry about expenses for his birthday. It’s nice when we all win :o)

2 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I grew up in a household where no one spoke of money. If I asked, I was told, "Don't worry about it."

Personally, I think this isn't right. We tell Jake everything, even down to the reason why you knock before entering your parents bedroom. ("It's like winning the lottery. It doesn't happen often, but one of these days, you'll walk in on us having sex, and the image will forever be branded into your brain, and you'll never forgive us.")

I would have told R the truth and let him adjust to it. At his age, he can handle knowing what the money situation is. My 2c --

Monday, July 18, 2005 5:22:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Moxie, At least you're hip and understand all this iPod stuff!

Hi Doug - I agree, in principle. And we're very up front with the kids, but I'm afraid R's never much cared if I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul, just so long as he gets his share! However - a part of me is wondering if I've got him wrong and maybe he's settling for the shuffle because he does understand the situation. He made me so proud tonight, and if I get the time I'll write a post and explain why :o)

Monday, July 18, 2005 9:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home