Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Bedlam!

We had a full house today with a couple of school moms around with their assortment of children. Most of the kids were little ‘uns but there was a ten year old we hadn’t met before thrown in for good measure.

I thought it would be ideal, because my eldest is only just eleven, and they’re both boys. What I had forgotten is how you dread your parents introducing you to someone and then them walking away to leave you to play. In fact it was only when the other mother asked her daughter if the big boys were talking yet, that I stopped to remember how much I despised going to a strangers house.

Luckily for the youth of today there exists the wonderful common language of playstation, and so even when you really don’t want to know the person sitting next to you, you’re more than happy to garrotte them with a sword. The boys got on great, and spent the afternoon in silence broken only by the groans of defeat and the whoops of victory. (I feel the need to add it was raining hard all afternoon, or they would have been kicked outside.)

What I particularly liked about this get-together was, both the moms I invited were smokers! Yes, it’s my dirty little secret and one which I go to great lengths to keep hidden from most people I meet. As I imagine most of you are non-smokers – for plenty of good reasons – I’m thinking you may not realise how smokers feel, and you probably don’t much care, but if I say I feel like I’m committing a major crime whenever I light up, will you stay?

And there aren’t so many of us left anymore. I suppose that’s a good thing for the next generation, but smoking for me has been interesting way of meeting people. In the old days there were smoking carriages on trains, and I had the most fun travelling across America meeting fellow smokers condemned to sit apart. I really don’t think I would have got chatting with half the wonderful characters I did, without the camaraderie of doing something so frowned upon.

But back to today and my excitement of openly sharing my dirty little secret with people other than the BH.

We don’t smoke throughout the house, it’s only allowed in the computer room and is another reason why I feel the most comfortable in my little den. One of the moms even commented how well planned our den location is, tucked at the back of the house, away from any halls or rooms upstairs, and how you can hear the children travelling through the house towards you, giving you enough time to meet them halfway and stop them inhaling any of our poison.

But we weren’t quick enough with her daintily toed daughter (very unlike my elephants!) who sprung out of nowhere and stood in the doorway eyeing the unusual vision of her mother in a group smoke session.

She frowned and we hastily started removing evidence of our wrong doing, “Is this a garage?” she asked.

Guess where her mom has to go for a quick cigarette ;o)

--x--

I haven’t written a thing today. Except this. Not good, but tomorrow isn’t too busy so maybe I’ll get to catch up (?!), I won’t tonight because between Rome and Lost the TV programmers have lured me into being a couch potato for one night a week. I bet I’ve totally destroyed any nice impression you may have mistakenly had of me!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can add one more smoker to your list (especially when I write.)

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:47:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Have I asked before and you answered and I forgot to look up: Who is "Jona"?

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:18:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Um, two things. Garrotting is strangling with an iron collar. I don't think that you can do it with a sword. You probably meant impaled or the like. Just me being a pedant. Feel free to correct the French on my blog.

I met a smoker whilst on holiday in Tunisia. Poor girl, every time we got off the bus the first thing she did was to light up - because even though there weren't 'no smoking' signs on the bus, she felt the social pressure not to do it.

Strangely, the knowledge that she had a dirty habit didn't make me dislike her.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:27:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

Hi Lita, sinners together ;o)

Hoss - She's a wicked, wicked woman at heart!

FTS - I promise not do it around you :o)

Dave - I love that you're a pedant! Thank you for correcting me (I thought it was a hefty slice up the middle ;o)) But my French is appalling (too!)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:36:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

I'm an EX smoker! the worst of the worst! I used to smoke two packs a day untill I quit, 14 or 15 years ago! But I think it's Ok for a few people, if they're not a super-addicted, chain smoker like I was. You sound like a light smoker.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:20:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

I'm an EX smoker! the worst of the worst! I used to smoke two packs a day untill I quit, 14 or 15 years ago! But I think it's Ok for a few people, if they're not a super-addicted, chain smoker like I was. You sound like a light smoker.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:20:00 pm  
Blogger Huw said...

Wasn't Rome embarrassingly bad? Watching that is surely a greater crime than smoking.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:19:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Mark - I'd say I'm medium, and a lot depends upon who i'm with and whether they mind ;o)

MOH - Oh now I feel wretched! I did give up, but never stopped missing it :o(

Huw, I'm glad it wasn't just me cringing with the awfulness! Someone needs shooting after all that hype ;o)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:30:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I watched Grand Designs on 4 instead, and flicked over during the adverts - saw I wasn't missing anything.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 6:42:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

I saw the last ten minutes of GD, and I liked the Roman style courtyard in the middle of the house and the views - but wasn't taken with the starkness and size of the place (all I could think about was how long it would taken me to sweep up!)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:12:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

I'm an ex smoker. It's been about 5 years this January sicne I've touched a ciggie. I went through the worst depression of my life when I quit. I felt like I had lost my best friend. Took a good 6 months to get it all out of my system.

Ah, I miss the friendships formed over a ciggie. Now that was true friendship.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:43:00 pm  
Blogger poopie said...

Hmm..aren't we just a bunch of heatherns sneaking around in our designated spots? Ditto on the smoking while writing thing. I probably couldn't even find the keyboard without a cig nearby ;)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have quit so many times that I lost count. The longest stretch I went was 2 years. I agree Jona, it depends on where I am and what I am doing as to how many I have.

Friday, November 04, 2005 1:10:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home