Tuesday, October 25, 2005

It’s all about the chase

Seeing as this seems to be a favoured topic, I’ll tell you about how J and Hamish got on yesterday.

The day started well with J looking forward to seeing Hamish. So much so, she decided she wanted to give him a shell. I thought this a lovely idea and promptly produced one from my coat pocket (yeah, for all my failings, I’m one of those mothers who can rescue a situation at a moments notice because of all the crap I carry around).

But I had forgotten something. Each week the children focus on a letter, this week it’s the letter ‘C’ and I got so carried away with the anticipation of Hamish’s joy, I neglected to find J anything to take into school. And it was raining (when is it not at the moment) which was a bonus for me because on wet days the children go straight into the classroom and I get to tag along. As soon as I realised we had nothing beginning with ‘C’ I rummaged around muttering to myself and produced a 1p coin for J to take in.

So there we were, hanging up her coat, putting away her lunchbox, and placing the coin on the display table, when all she wanted to do was find Hamish. Which was easy. Just head towards the loudest noise.

Unfortunately Hamish wasn’t as pleased to see J, and when she squealed and waved to him, he ignored her. J didn’t seem to notice and pushed her way through the hoards of little people to stand next to him. With her brightest smile she held out the shell.

‘C’ he said, and turned away.

Not so easily put off she continued holding it out and explained she had bought it in for him. Frowning hard he took it from her without a word.

Deed done, J bounced off to join her friends, leaving me to smile at the sweetness and watch to see what Hamish would do with his gift. His frown vanished and he looked about, searching for someone.

‘Miss, Miss,’ he walked over to their teacher. ‘I bought this in for you!’

‘A shell?’ the teacher said frowning. ‘But, Hamish, this week’s letter is ‘C’.’

‘I know, but I thought you would like it!’ he smiled one of his gorgeous smiles.

She took it from him with a thank you, while I stood with my jaw dropping. Who knew opportunists started so young? I haven’t told J what happened to the shell, and nor shall I. But heaven help him in a decade if he tries to date her!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story reminds me of what my son went through in third grade. He was crazy about a girl named Lynn and for Valentine's day he bought her a small bottle of Love's Baby Soft cologne. Lynn accepted the gift and then told my son, "Thank you now leave me alone." His heart was broken. Poor kid.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:50:00 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Given the way kids spell on text-speak, I'm surprised he didn't claim it was a c-shell.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:14:00 pm  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Ohhh That's heartbreaking.
Like you, I can always pull a c-shell out of my pocket. (That Dave guy is a pretty smart fella!)

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:48:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

My, such crust.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:59:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

My choice for ending the story:

You hand him the compact from your purse, mirror open.

"Whossat?" says Hamish. "A compact for the letter C?"

"No," you say, making sure he sees the mirror. "An arsehole for the letter A."

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:44:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

I knew with many men it was all about the chase -- who knew it started at four?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:21:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home