Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Finding the silver lining

I’m ill. My throat hurts and every time I swallow my ears hurt too. I spent last night dozing on the couch, which is not something I usually enjoy, but given that I’d also eaten cream that had me doubled up in pain, I was glad of it.

Except now it turns out, it may not have been the cream. Second son P has been sent home from school with tummy ache and feeling nauseous. Which makes me feel bad because I sent number one son, R, into school this morning when he complained of the same thing (I thought he was just trying to pull a fast one!)

This is not good timing as I’m supposed to be at a parents evening tonight. I just about managed last nights parents meeting (too many darn kids!), but am now thinking me and mine are infecting the four schools because of my determination to carry on as normal.

It’s not that I wouldn’t like to shout STOP and just forget all the commitments, but it’s not a good example. And the healthy ones still have to be places. So I guess I’ll load up the car with bowls and hope for the best.

And whilst I’m feeling poorly, and grumbly, I shall have a moan. CATS! I don’t like them. This isn’t just because I’m a dog person, a large part is because so many people defend them! I’m sick to death of clearing up bird/rabbit/squirrel bodies because the people next door think cats are cute. They are not cute, they kill animals and birds for fun, and once they’ve smeared the guts of some poor creature across my driveway, they bugger off, leaving the mess for me and the kids to discover. And please refrain from telling me 'it's only natural', it's not natural to let loose a pet who hasn't learnt killing things is bad form. If my dog did that, you can bet your granny most people would suggest putting him down! (But cat lovers, don't worry, all I do is chase cats away. )

Anyway moan over, and now I’m off to dose myself up for the next school run and clear away a pigeon body. Wish me luck and a sick-free car.

Oh, and the silver lining… I didn’t go to parenting class this morning ;o)

5 Comments:

Blogger Huw said...

I am quite confident that if you didn't dislike cats, they would stop littering your property with carcasses.

They are vindictive creatures you see.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:36:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

This news does not surprise me, Huw!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:43:00 pm  
Blogger poopie said...

Popping over to meet you and say howdy Debi! Of course any friend of Hoss's is a friend of mine ;) I, too, like the sound of having a moan much better than a rant, which is what I ususally have. Hope you feel better soon.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:21:00 pm  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

As your long distance doctor, I recommend you drink lots and lots of liquids. Stay well hydrated! Seriously, sore throats are 10 times worse if you're running on the dry side.

I hope you feel better!

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:41:00 am  
Blogger Sabine said...

I must jump in as a liker-of-cats and defend them at this point.

Kitties are cute!

I won't defend them too loudly, because you're sick.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:00:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home