Thursday, April 12, 2007

So

February flashed by, March came and went, and here we are in April.

It’s now over a year since Ryker died and I still miss the old fart, more so at the moment as I’m getting severely pissed off with Kobi of late. He’s a good looking dog but doesn’t know his place, though someone explained why the other day – apparently a dog gets his idea of his importance from his litter, i.e. leader of the pack there, leader of the pack at home. I’ve no idea if this is true (and that’s why I said ‘apparently’!), but it does make sense when you take into account Ryker was the runt of his, whereas there is little doubt, Kobi wasn’t.

I really don’t know what to do. I can’t live without a dog and I’ve always been of the opinion when you get a puppy it’s like getting a child – you’re stuck with them for life. But Kobi doesn’t make liking him easy. He’s a pain in the arse in every way possible (chewing, peeing, stealing, nipping, pushing people over/out of the way) it truly is harder work than having another child!

On the upside, he doesn’t fight with other dogs. But this is the only upside, and instead he’s fair game for having a go at any horses he sees.

I used to think it was how you treated a dog that resulted in what you got in return. I should have known better, after all, the kids taught me years ago that you can raise them the same, doesn’t mean you’ll get the same!

Did I mention we had him snipped? And it wasn’t to make him calmer (though we live in hope), but because I figured I couldn’t breed this dog for fear I might inflict his personality traits on others.

What’s a mom to do? Even if I don’t like him, I love him. But ask anyone else in the family, and there’s a chorus of ‘Get rid of him!’ – which I honestly find surprising considering how they all adore animals. But I’m not getting rid of him, I can’t, instead I’ll just pray that I’ll read this in a year or so and smile with forgotten memories.


And whilst I’m talking about animals, I’ll mention the poor Thrush who flew into my window today. Another one killed himself. It always breaks my heart, but I was cross today as I saw a Magpie swooping away. I hate Magpies, I have ever since I was 9 and came home to find they’d got into my rabbit hutch and slaughtered three of my baby bunnies. Guts everywhere. Bloody Magpies.

Bloody pheasants too; they’re everywhere! Stupid birds scare off all the others (except the flippin’ Magpies!!!)

On a sweeter note, we have two new bunnies in the garden. They’re obviously young and are still too brave/stupid for their own good. Wonderful for us when they allow us to sit 15 foot away, but it won’t be if the cats (or magpies!) get close.

Geepers I’m moaning. Didn’t mean to, and I haven’t even mentioned my drama of yesterday. But I’ve decided not to mention that, as I’m now thinking I was over thinking. If you get my drift.

Anyway, I’ve decided I’d like to get back into this blogging lark, I miss it. And I miss all of you. But as ever, it’s a time thing. Or tiredness thing, depending upon how you look at it.

In fact I’m too tired to carry on typing, and the evening is running away from me and I need a bath. I’ll leave you with some recent piccies.


The Beast! (Looking innocent)
S at her school's Mother's Day Service (standing in front of her depiction of *me*)

S getting Bronze in a local art competition.


J being beautiful.

My garden, in a prettier, tranquil, moment.

3 Comments:

Blogger rdl said...

Nice pics! nice post, great to see you back!

Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:55:00 pm  
Blogger rdl said...

oh and I know what you mean about the damn dog as i fondly call our blk lab, jackson. He's 3 now and much more well behaved. You must put them in there place, specially if he's thinkin he's the alpha dog. I'm guessing he's good with you but not the kids, cause he thinks he's above them. Jackson used to try that with Luke. Try having the kids feed him, maybe he'll respect them more if they have power over the food. Jackson has at least stopped the nipping thing. just grab his snout and try to get his tooth into the side of his soft mouth so he gets the idea as you scream Nooooooooooooooo!!!!
it aint' easy.
too bad you don't live near, we could get them a place together; the kids too. :D

Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:01:00 pm  
Blogger protected static said...

Gotta second what rdl said: have the kids feed him, particularly your youngest.

I'm serious - pack heirarchy is reinforced by who eats when. In our house, we eat first, then the dogs get fed as soon as we're done eating (the important thing is that everyone who is more important than the dog is eating first - being done isn't as important).

We feed the dogs in the kitchen; we make them lie down outside the kitchen. Our son (the most junior member of the human part of the pack, right?) fills their dishes, and then releases the dogs - they are not allowed to get up until he tells them "All done."

If one of them gets up ahead of time, we make them lie back down. If it's the older, more senior dog that does it, and she's being really pushy, we'll make her lie down until the inferior dog starts eating. That gets her attention in a hurry, let me tell you!

Friday, April 13, 2007 9:00:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home