Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ups and downs, round and round

Further to my moan of yesterday, and the subsequent advise offered (for which I’m very grateful) I have made a decision. And that is: I’m not going to rely on anyone but myself (and the BH) in future. This isn’t meant with any bitterness or anger, I just feel that the process of people agreeing to do something, then changing their mind, irritates me more than them not offering in the first place.

I decided this after reading your comments and talking with a girlfriend this morning. Moaning again (I wasn’t quite finished ;o)). What I like about this particular friend is that we’re the same, like two peas in a pod, hating and loving the same things. Though all my friends are wonderful, she’s the one I share my wickedest thoughts and feelings with. Did she sympathise? Offer great advice like some of you did? NO. She laughed at me and went on to prove she could better me, by telling me what her mother-in-law had been up to!

After twenty minutes on the phone I was laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes and we made a pact not to make our children’s lives so difficult (though this doesn’t kick in till they leave home!)

And then something else happened. S’s swimming. It was the typical rush up there. In the rain. But at least now my parents are home, I didn’t have to check their mail or water their plants, so we made it on time and before I started screaming.

And S did great. Really great. In fact today was the first time she allowed herself to let go of her instructor and the edge of the pool. A breakthrough for S! She was so pleased with herself, and I clapped and cheered her on from behind the glass wall. And realised I couldn’t stop her lessons for next term.

And you know what’s weird? Sitting there deciding I could, and would, continue with the hassle of Tuesdays didn’t feel so horrendous when it was MY decision.

Of course when I looked at the clock and saw that the teacher had overrun, I was panic struck again and hurried S out, to set off on the next pickup!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lois Lane said...

There is nothing like a good friend to smack you in the head with pure comedy in your time of stress!
High five to little S!
Lois Lane

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:55:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

You are so right -- it is so much easier when these things are YOUR decision! Congrats to S on her swimming breakthrough!

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:28:00 pm  
Blogger Huw said...

Clearly you are a great mother going to all this effort. My father dealt with that whole episode by simply flinging me off the end of a pier. It saved him petrol money I suppose.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 12:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home