Thursday, December 01, 2005

If it's not one thing, it's another...

For several hours today I didn’t have internet access. Even before this morning I could have told you how I react when my email is taken away! Still, on the bright side my house is cleaner ;o)

And it looks like being the month when things go wrong as the BH’s car is poorly and can’t be driven. Woe is me as I’ve lost my backup picker-upper, and am now taxiing him to and fro too.

Moving ahead on the Christmas present front and the obstacles keep coming. Apart from the lack of funds and space for all these gifts, the shops have sold out of the stuff I want. This is the joy of living on an island! So I’m madly ordering online and can only hope everything turns up in time.

No.1 son is also causing an issue. He wants an electric guitar for Christmas, but his father said no. Trouble is Papa said yes, went into town, found one he liked, put it aside and told me we’d go halves and could I go in and pay for it. I haven’t because the BH isn’t pleased with me and I’m panic-struck it’ll be gone before Papa returns to the island next week and balls me out for not buying it.

For my part, if R wants a guitar – so long as he understands the family have to club together and he’ll get nothing else – then he can have it, because anything else he gets he won’t be thrilled about. But (why is there always a but?!) the BH says we should get him a cheap one, Papa says it’s a waste of money and we’ll only be buying another next year, and R is whining his friend got one for eighty quid and if I got one for eighty quid then Papa could buy him some other stuff he’s after.

I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place and can’t do right for doing wrong, and I’m sure this isn’t what Christmas is supposed to be about!

Anyway, no rest for the wicked, S needs taking to ballet before I hit the school run, go back to pick her up, then meet the godmother, take R to guitar, pick the BH up, pick R up, and I suppose I should think about we need for dinner.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sabine said...

I'm with Papa - it doesn't have to be top of the line, but don't get the kid a piece of crap. Tell BH I said to get it. And I'm bossy and I know a bit of karate.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 5:09:00 pm  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

That is a really rough spot to be put into. Sounds like you have your hands full. I hope you find some unwind time today. :)
Lois Lane

Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:31:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Don't you hate being stuck in the middle? I have to say though, I am with Maureen, don't buy a piece of crap.

Sonny Boy has several and is quite accomplished. But then there is the cost of the amp (HAVE to have one with electric guitar). The strap and slide is optional but at least picks are cheap. Picks are the only cheap thing about it.

I am doing online ordering too and sweating the delivery dates. They make everything seem rosy until you click that order button. THEN they tell you it will take 3 weeks to ship. Ugh...

Thursday, December 01, 2005 11:54:00 pm  
Blogger Monique said...

No Internet access? Aaaaahhh!!!! I feel your pain!

As far as the guitar, if you think your son is going to stick with it, get one that will last. If he's not the "stick to it" type, the less expensive one would probably work just as well.

Friday, December 02, 2005 3:34:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

In a year we'll be reading about the thrasher metal punk band practicing loudly in your basement.

I would recommend a good quality instrument if you decide to get one.

Friday, December 02, 2005 3:51:00 am  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

You get what you pay for -- don't go the el cheapo way -- get him a good one if he's going to get one.. :)

Friday, December 02, 2005 4:36:00 am  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Debi, what happened to your recent posts?

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home