Thursday, September 01, 2005

I had high hopes for this summer

Every week the children and I were supposed to focus upon something new and do an activity on it. The boys were supposed to finish the reading journey challenge. I was going to make all the curtains and blinds for the house. The BH was going to complete the deck. The garage was to be cleared and our long forgotten objects (and much loved books!!) found a place in the house. And the weeks would go on forever.

What happened?

I could list the excuses for you – but you already know most of them as I posted the days away.

Some got done, others didn’t, and the only thing I’m truly disappointed about is the weeks have flown by in a blur.

And this has got me thinking.

Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t feel that time has speeded up as they’ve gotten older? Are we all imagining it?

It could simply be that as adults we have more responsibility, and thus more things to fit into our day. Except… wouldn’t the summer holidays have felt slower than the usual pace? I’ve had less activities and commitments to run between – surely the summer should have stretched?

But then I suppose time flies when you’re having fun! But what does that say about my usual weeks? I don’t find cooking for six every night fun, neither is the endless washing, cleaning and taxiing around.

So if time flies when you’re having fun, AND when you’re busy, then it must slow on those days when I decide to let everything slip and relax doing nothing! Except it doesn’t, they go fast too!

What does that leave me with? Apart from the start of a headache.

Being me, and this being the type of thing I dwell upon, I googled and found ideas are few are far between.

The Earth’s Background Base Frequency seems a popular quandary some think might be related. It’s speeded up from 7.8 cycles per second in the 1950’s to over 11 cycles now. Supposedly it stops at 13, but I have no idea what that means (I’ll google that tomorrow!)

Maybe we’re like the sea floor, which locks the magnetic polarity of the Earth into itself as it’s created, with our DNA locking the rate of time at our creation.

Of course the rate is supposedly set (with the help of caesium) but there was a time when people thought the North Pole was set too! Maybe caesium is like a compass needle and no matter how fast time flies the 9,192,631,770 cycles it passes through will still occur.

But I’m getting out of my depth.

And am fast running out of evening too.

--x--

7 Comments:

Blogger MarkD60 said...

Ha Ha! I worked on cesuim beams for 11 years before moving here. It theory the cesium oscillation stays the same but everthing else slows. But how would we know? All we can compare them to is each other. Maybe space-time is constant and the cesuim transition is speeding up! How would we know?
I think the years seem to speed up because every year becomes a smaller percentage of our life. I think our memory stays the same size, when we are one, one year fills all our memory, (BIG!) but when we are 20, each year gets to occupy an average of only 5% of the space in our memory. therefore each year seems shorter.
I notice the first six months of the year seems to go much faster than the last six months. That has remained constant to me!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 11:07:00 pm  
Blogger Daisy Mae said...

Sheesh, I thought I was the only one that was feeling that time has speeded up now. Sometimes I calculate how much time I may have left. Morbid I know. Times does fly by at an amazing rate after you hit 30. That's why I'm glad I'm only 27 and have been for the last 10 or so years.

Friday, September 02, 2005 3:11:00 am  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi Deb. So I see you're following bam's blogs, but you're not reading the Smart Bitches? How come?

Curious what you thought of Bare Rump's test results (since you're the only one who reads it anymore, aside from my family)

Friday, September 02, 2005 6:21:00 am  
Blogger Jona said...

That’s an interesting idea Mark! And makes more sense than mine ;o)

Daisy Mae, Very wise! I think I shall start counting backwards :o)

Hi Doug, I found Bam through you and nearly wet myself I laughed so hard! I immediately emailed asking for permission to link – I shall go check out Smart Bitches!
I’m sorry to hear BR doesn’t share your readership :o( and I thought her responses were perfect (in fact the test could almost have been written for her ;o))

Friday, September 02, 2005 9:02:00 am  
Blogger Style Me Organized said...

time totally goes by so much faster and in the summer especially that makes me sad. i long for the summer feelings from when i was a child. it felt like summer would never end. now it feels like summer lasts two and a half weeks with 50% crummy weather.

Friday, September 02, 2005 12:09:00 pm  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Your hair locks keep growing after death, but maybe not as fast, so you probably won't ever need a barber again. If you had some cesium you could probably check this out.

Friday, September 02, 2005 4:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that having more time would mean that it would go by slower--not so. It seems the more time I have available to me, the less time I have to get things done.

Speaking of which, I have to run because I am late for something.

Friday, September 02, 2005 5:16:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home