Saturday, July 02, 2005

Math Lesson

The Better-Half studying P’s maths homework, ‘Okay, what’s half of one?’

Thinking hard, P says with joy, ‘Three!’

BH frowns, ‘Half of one.’

P, realises he must be wrong, ‘Oh, two!’

BH ‘Half. HALF. Think about it, P.’

P, ‘Umm, four.’

BH sighing, ‘HALF. Not double. Half. If I had ten sweets and gave you HALF, how many would you have?’

‘Five?’

‘Good, P. If I had two sweets, and gave you half…’

‘One!’

‘Great, P. Now let’s think about one. If you have one sweet and halve it, how many do you have?’

‘Umm. Six.’

3 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Guess P is just a whole numbers kinda kid ;o)

Reminds me of a story. Kindergarten: at recess, I have a flash of insight, and I run up to my teacher and say, "One and one are two!"

"One plus one equals two," she said, thus killing the moment. True story.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 3:45:00 pm  
Blogger Me said...

I tell ya, this 'New Math' can really be confusing sometimes.

Kudos to you P! anytime you get six sweets out of one...It's a good day.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 6:01:00 pm  
Blogger Jona said...

Thanks for the true story, Doug ~ it gievs me some hope for P!

jlg, ohh now I feel guilty for teaching him the reality ;o)

Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:15:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home