Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A high note

So. I’m 40. Bloody hell that’s always sounded old.

Still, I guess there are worse things, like 50.

I had a nice day, can’t say ‘great’ as I was at work and seriously stressed for most of it. But the day ended well.

You remember my friend Cass? The one I went to London with at the last minute to see Aerosmith? She spoilt me rotten!

She’d taken this dreadful photo of us that night, huiddled together in the midst of crowd, and so she enlarged my face (way too close!!) and put it on the front of a card, with the words:

What is the definition of a good friend?

Inside was:

Someone who stands outside in the pouring rain for 5 hours to watch a rock band they have never heard of!!

That card is the funniest, nicest, birthday card I have ever received! And I laughed like a drain!!

And she wasn’t finished there; I got a couple of things, but most excitingly a night away with her in January! We’re staying a posh hotel/spa place for a ‘girly’ night – with everything thrown in!

She spoils me, and makes me feel very special. And I’m bloody glad she’s still my best mate after 25 years!

I received other lovely things too, but that was the most personal gift, the one I’ll remember first.

My parents also came back to the UK for my birthday – which I feel downright guilty about. So sweet they did, but I worked all day and only saw them for an hour. They head back to South Africa on Friday, till March, so even an hour was nice.

The final tidbit of my birthday was hearing from the School P wants to go to (& failed the exam for). They weren’t returning my calls, and I hate to be a nuisance to people and call repeatedly, so at the weekend I wrote a letter. I just said P didn’t want to give up, was going to have some extra English lessons, and would dearly like to be considered to be allowed to sit the exam again, if and when a place becomes available.

Obviously there’re no places just now, but the lady in charge of admissions called last night to say that P was on her mind, and that she’s impressed with his attitude, and will keep him in mind as and when the opportunity presents itself.

She’s a lovely lady, and even if nothing happens for a year or two, she made me feel like she really will be in contact as and when she could.

A slither of hope is enough to make me smile. Time will tell of course, but a small hope is more than I had last week!

And the kids are dropping like flies! The two boys were both ill at school yesterday, both told by teachers to come home, both refused giving the reason that they’re having time off shortly, and can’t afford more.

Awwww, my boys! But I did tell them off – pointed out the schools don’t want them when they’re sick!

And speaking of schools, quick update on my big confession….. P’s headmaster called me on Monday morning.

Told me not to be embarrassed about this event, said he knows it happens, and that the only difference is *I* can’t seem to be dishonest. He was very forgiving.

Even said he didn’t want the letter to go on Ps file, and would I write a one line letter asking for time off, so that he could destroy the original letter.

I feel he’s being very kind and generous with me. And I’m grateful more than he’ll ever realise.

The girls headmistress…well, I haven’t heard from her. And after discussing the situation yesterday with another mother who went head to head with this woman – I don’t think I shall.

She cannot make an exception for us. Even with my big confessional.

But then, she hasn’t called or asked to see me, or written a letter…..yet. I’m still biting my nails but figure, that maybe, in her own way, not responding is the most generous thing she can do for me just now.

And I’ve done my bit, confessing all. There’s nothing more I can do.

And now I must bid you all farewell until 2009, as I want to be at work for 7…..must dash!


Have a super Christmas :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

There's nothing wrong with being 50, you young slip of a thing you.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:37:00 am  
Blogger rdl said...

Happy Birthday!!
Yes 50 is worse.
Merry Christmas too!

Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:13:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Happy Holidays Lentula and family!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 11:48:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Happy New Year. I do hope it is.

Thursday, January 01, 2009 9:36:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

40 is nothing. Try pushing fifty.

Balls and Walnuts is up again, in case you came lookin'.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:22:00 am  
Blogger Page Turner said...

I'm bloody 40 now too. I haven't heard from you in a while...nor have I been reading or blogging at all. Going to get back at it.

Monday, February 23, 2009 4:03:00 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Are you still alive?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:40:00 am  
Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

When were you born? 1970? Me, too. Dear, we all grow old in this Finite Existence; however, in Heaven, where you're gonna be with moi, we'll be about 17 or 21 for the length of eternity. Even after 785 trillion eons, we'll still be 17 or 21. So, meet me Upstairs for a celebration of our resurrection where I'll have a BIG-OL party lasting for years and years. God bless.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home