Thursday, March 13, 2008

Alive, kicking, and I’m a pedant!

And as it was a teacher telling me so, then it must be so!

I suppose I should be glad that my son’s Catholic school is even teaching the formation of the solar system, on the other, if you’re going to teach kids something, then shouldn’t it be taught correctly?

This all started when I helped P revise for his water cycle test, you know how it happens – you start glancing through their books, and suddenly you read something like:

‘The moon bumped crashed into the Earth, and that’s why the Earth tilts on its axis.’

The correction of ‘bumped’ to ‘crashed’ is the teacher’s, followed by a big tick. Anyways, I’m reading this paragraph thinking ‘WTF? When?! Was I asleep?’

I must have been asleep at some point, because I studied Planetary Science and I sure as heck don’t recall the moon ever bumping, or crashing, into the Earth.

P’s science teacher assured me it did though.

I stood there seriously questioning the stuff I’d been taught, after all, this man is a teacher – and they must know what they’re talking about, right? So I explained I'd been taught the Giant Impact Theory for the moon's formation, and thought it still stood, and wasn't aware the moon had ever come back and given us a shove. To my surprise he agreed and said that that was what the boys would be taught in Seniors.

So I queried why they were teaching my son this other gibberish stuff right now, and apparently kids can’t understand the same things as us, and this is the let’s make it up as we go along simplified version, oh and I’m being pedantic for brining this up.

Seriously, he said that.

Not sure how amused I am about this, am I really being pedantic?

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

No, a pedant would be someone like me, who points out minor typos ('brining').

It's just wonderful that you're still alive and blogging, so who cares whether you pick nits too.

Friday, March 14, 2008 8:13:00 am  
Blogger rdl said...

ok i'm back - thank goodness for dictionary.com
maybe just a tad overconcerned?

Sunday, March 16, 2008 3:29:00 am  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

According to Clark Wilson, a Geophysicist at the University of Texas at Austin. He says earth's tilt came about early in the formation of the solar system, four and a half billion years ago. Back then, a lot of dust and rocks were floating around and crashing into each other. That debris eventually stuck together to form the planets.

Wilson:
That process is a little messy, and in the case of the earth, probably led to some big impacts that eventually tilted the axis to what it is, 23 degrees now.

One of those big impacts, for example, ejected a lot of debris that eventually coalesced to form the moon.

But Wilson says earth doesn't get knocked around much anymore.


Welcome back to blogger Lentula! Keep posting!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:34:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home